good replacement screen for droid while docked?

mdhuber25

Reaction score
im looking for something to replace the docking screen when the droid is plugged into the multimedia station. i basically use this as my alarm clock and even when it's dimmed, it's too bright. maybe something that just uses a black background. ive seen a few apps available but i just wanted to get the opinions from everyone here. i'd love something that performs the same way as the stock screen because i love everything else about it, i just want to change that skin.

bristolcat

Reaction score
I had the same goal in mind, so I downloaded the Nexus One dock app from Droid Life. It's OK. It looks good with the live wallpapers. The dim mode is much dimmer than the Droid clock's. After about 15 minutes or so, the clock automatically goes to a black screen with a green clock that moves around the screen screen-saver style (you can go to this mode immediately by long-pressing the dim button).

It's worth a shot. It seems to work pretty slick for me, although I'd be interested in other options too.

Of course, the thing that is the brightest on my phone now are those damned four buttons at the bottom. Those are still on and I haven't heard of any way to turn them off yet. Grrr.

OP
mdhuber25

mdhuber25

Reaction score
the green on black looks perfect for what i want. i'll check it out when i get a minute. and this may be more of a pain than a solution but fwiw i heard someone mention that if you turn the phone off, dock it, then turn it back on while docked that the buttons will stay unlit. i havent tried it, too much of a hassle but its worth a try if they REALLY annoy you.

one thing i forgot to mention, i would :heart: LOOOOOOOOOVE :heart: an auto silence option when the phone is docked/plugged in. i cannot STAND getting woken up by tweets at 3 am because i forget to silence the damn phone. and i think if it happens again my wife will want a divorce.

bristolcat

Reaction score
I have tried that method for keeping the lights off, but for some reason mine come back on after a while. And if you do anything to your phone, like turn off sound or hit the home button or touch it at all, they come back on. Sigh. It seems like it shouldn't be so hard to just turn them off.

I think there are apps to do what you want to do with the silence mode in dock. I have all my alerts on vibrate so if I get an email in the middle of the night it's not so irritating. There is a widget you can get called "Mute" that turns off all alerts and that's kind of nice, but you'd have to remember to hit it before you put it in the dock. I am sure there are some that are automatic, though.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
I use the app Bedtime in combination with LED Hack(root only), this makes for this dimmest bedsite clock that I have been able to manage. I have it setup so that when I set it in the multimedia dock, it turns the display to the lowest setting, turns off the top and bottom LEDS, and has a nice black background clock that you can adjust colors on. Also, all of these settings turn off automatically once I remove my phone from the dock.

OP
mdhuber25

mdhuber25

Reaction score
I knew I'd seen an app like what you are looking for. Check out Sweet Dreams and see if that will meet your needs.

thanks for the recommendation. it works on timers instead of on plugging the phone in, but there are a bevy of customization options. im going to play with it, might do the trick.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I had the same goal in mind, so I downloaded the Nexus One dock app from Droid Life. It's OK. It looks good with the live wallpapers. The dim mode is much dimmer than the Droid clock's. After about 15 minutes or so, the clock automatically goes to a black screen with a green clock that moves around the screen screen-saver style (you can go to this mode immediately by long-pressing the dim button).

It's worth a shot. It seems to work pretty slick for me, although I'd be interested in other options too.

Of course, the thing that is the brightest on my phone now are those damned four buttons at the bottom. Those are still on and I haven't heard of any way to turn them off yet. Grrr.

I installed this and I like it... but there's something I can't figure out. A popup came up asking me which dock app I want to use (default or this one). I switched to this new one and made it default. But now, I can't find where you can go back and change that setting again? Not that I want to go back to the original, but I just want to know how to do that.

rustynail09

Reaction score
I personally use Better Alarm Clock by Better Android. Dim feature makes it barely noticeable in a bedroom, then after a few minutes, the buttons shut down and the screen blacks out with white numbers that move around/ the only bad part is it is ad driven, but if your sleeping, you don't pay attention to the ads :)

wormywyrm

Reaction score
I tried the 2.1 Clock App From Nexus One but felt very annoyed by it because it smashed my background image vertically which makes the background verryyy ugly. Bleh. I really like the dimmed time too that it has, but that background smashing is just so ugly. Plus I really wish it would let me choose my own music app so I could use that handy shortcut. I keep pressing it thinking it will open mixzing.

OP
mdhuber25

mdhuber25

Reaction score
kaloer | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games

this app seem to really do the trick. theres a setting to have it come on upon plugging the phone in and also muting the phone as well, which is what i REALLY need. the background it totally black and the font is adjustable in style, color, and brightness. it doesnt dim the buttons unfortunately, but it the best replacement i've encountered thus far. i did have to download an app to disable the multimedia screen but its worth it.