Good News for HTC; Judge Finds Apple violates HTC Patents with MAC

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple goes sue crazy, and Google uses patents without licensing. The difference is, people here will excuse Google for doing what they do, but proclaim that Apple is the spawn of Satan for doing what they do. It's just the disparity that makes no sense. If you're going to bash Apple for protecting their IP, then you have to bash Google/OEMs for using IP without permission. Doesn't make sense not to.

In another thread about the IP lawsuit Apple filed against Samsung, one of the posters defending Apple were saying that Apple was right in suing because it is an American company and Samsung is an Asian company stealing their secrets. And yet he made no mention of the IP lawsuits filed against Apple because it is the reverse, an American company stealing secrets from non-American companies.

Both sides have a right to sue, there's no "great moves" by one side and the other side is doing something dumb. They're protecting their patents, that's all. Maybe Apple is in the news so much because more people are stealing their patents then the reverse, but the point is every company sues. Corporate lawsuits are not "patented" by Apple. That's just how business works. Complaining about patent law and how patents are given is irrelevant. IF a court finds that a patent is not legit, the court will decide fairly, like the Apple/Amazon "app store" thing was. I'm not bold enough to say I know more about patent law than the courts and organizations that govern those things. Pretty sure they're making a fair decision based on the facts, and not speculation.

If someone steals your IP, you sue. Plain and simple. Calling Apple a stifler of competition for suing, and then heralding HTC's countersuit as a "great move" makes no sense. They're both doing it for money, not to protect the greater good and provide a heavenly utopia where all smartphone users can exist in harmony like some people think. And the same goes in the reverse. If HTC finds that apple violated one of their patents, why wouldn't they sue? But that's a "great, smart move"? Why? But Apple's isn't?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok...so if Apple would bought S3 graphics, that wouldnt be considered a brilliant move on their part?

To me it probably woulda been even more brilliant...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok...so if Apple would bought S3 graphics, that wouldnt be considered a brilliant move on their part?

To me it probably woulda been even more brilliant...

What I'm saying is if buying out another company and inheriting their patents makes you brilliant, why doesn't patenting something yourself make you brilliant? Why does that makes you a stifler of competition? Apple patented certain things which Android OEMS/Google used without permission. Why isn't suing in itself a "brilliant" move?

The point is, its business. That's what they do. If you want to call it brilliant feel free, but it's brilliance on Apple's side too. If they reach a settlement with HTC they'll make more money directly off Android then Google does (not that that's hard or anything), so that's pretty brilliant, no? The S3 Patents only apply to OSX and not iOS so Apple stands to make millions off Android from a settlement or from licensing their patents, and Google stands to lose millions. Brilliant.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't see how this lawsuit was won by HTC. It makes no sense. It is referring the the graphics adapters used in Macs. Which just happen to be absolutely no different from the graphics adapters used in PCs aside from the fact that PC video cards use a BIOS, Mac video cards use an EFI firmware.

Macs use ATI, nVidia, or Intel graphics. I can't see how Apple has done anything wrong; since ALL PC makers use these same exact graphics chipsets. Wouldn't it be ATI/nVidia/Intel violating S3's patents; since ALL of these chipsets are capable of S3TC (S3 Texture Compression)?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't see how this lawsuit was won by HTC. It makes no sense. It is referring the the graphics adapters used in Macs. Which just happen to be absolutely no different from the graphics adapters used in PCs aside from the fact that PC video cards use a BIOS, Mac video cards use an EFI firmware.

Macs use ATI, nVidia, or Intel graphics. I can't see how Apple has done anything wrong; since ALL PC makers use these same exact graphics chipsets. Wouldn't it be ATI/nVidia/Intel violating S3's patents; since ALL of these chipsets are capable of S3TC (S3 Texture Compression)?

And to add on to my comments here, I also don't know what OS X has to do with anything. S3TC is HARDWARE capability of the video chipset. Sure, OS X uses OpenGL; which can make use of S3TC. But so does Windows (and on Windows, DirectX can also use S3TC). Linux uses OpenGL as well, and handles S3TC.

NTRS

Reaction score
Last time I checked HTC isn't suing anyone else. Apple started off with there little lawsuit. HTC is just playing the system right? Also if u read the news it could potentially ban mac computers from being imported into the US. And that is a big hit to apple.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked HTC isn't suing anyone else. Apple started off with there little lawsuit. HTC is just playing the system right? Also if u read the news it could potentially ban mac computers from being imported into the US. And that is a big hit to apple.

Yes they're playing the system. Just like Apple is. But when Apple does it, they're stifling competition and HTC is "brilliant". Go figure.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
In case some of you you havent realized....this says Droid forums.

Go to Redskins forums and try to defend the Cowboys...go to Boston forums and try to defend the Yankees....

Its kinda obvious that ppl will look at Google a certain way and Apple a certain way...

NTRS

Reaction score
Yeah because HTC wasnt out to sue anyone. They were just making phones. And apple is scared of the Android OS. So they want to stop Android.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
In case some of you you havent realized....this says Droid forums.

Go to Redskins forums and try to defend the Cowboys...go to Boston forums and try to defend the Yankees....

Its kinda obvious that ppl will look at Google a certain way and Apple a certain way...

I realize that, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with Google and Android, does it? Just stating the blatantly obvious. If people want to deny what's happening in front of their face, or spin it one way or another, that's not my issue

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah because HTC wasnt out to sue anyone. They were just making phones. And apple is scared of the Android OS. So they want to stop Android.

LOL, yes poor little HTC was just sitting around making phones like a good company when they were attacked by Apple. Gimme a break. HTC bought S3 specifically to sue Apple and now they are "open to negotiations". HTC is no better a company then Apple or Google or Moto or any other company. They're there to protect themselves, nothing more nothing less. HTC wasn't sitting around struggling to make people happy when they were blindsided by Apple's lawsuit. It's business, it happens. There's no "good" company that is trying to help mankind become better haha...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Apple would side stepped HTC and bought S3...after knowing HTC was trying to buy em too, I woulda said brilliant move Apple.

Even if Samsung's UI is considered by some, many, a blatant rip off of the iPhone UI, whatever Samsung have to do to try to got a more favorable outcome for them, I say good move Samsung.

Not too many folks hanging out here are gonna have sympthy for Apple or try to see it from both sides.

I said this before....defend your patents Apple....just dont be so anal about it. Most of us seen the cases where Apple was found to be infringing recently. Go to Apple Insider, maybe macrumors and see what the majority of the posts will be like.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
^haha surprisingly there seems to be more android supporters on macrumors than apple...here on DF it's just pure hatred for apple.