Good News for HTC; Judge Finds Apple violates HTC Patents with MAC

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
That'd be funny if everyone Apple has sued all get together and sue the heck outa Apple....

One can dream...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I try not to pay attention to lawsuits because it is basically a chess match. Neither google or apple is totally innocent. In this case I let lawyers do what lawyers do. Because in the end its all about money. No one wants to stop the other from doing business they just want away to get paid from them doing business.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Rindaen

Reaction score
Ya know the law suits really are getting out of hand in general, However you have to use the patent system we have.

Microsoft, Apple , Google, HTC, Samsung, Etc.... 2 Things in common.
1 They want more Money
2 At some point they stole an idea from someone else

If im not mistaken the Win for HTC only covers the Mac Computers with NVIDIA GPU's. In which Apple has been moving away from since the Problems with Intel and Nvidia escalated.

Like them or not Apple Products work brilliantly right out of the box.
Are the expensive? Yes , Some of them are.
Can everyone afford one? No

Off to call Verizon, Hopefully they can get the GPS to work on the X :(

jseah

Reaction score
Apple goes sue crazy, and Google uses patents without licensing. The difference is, people here will excuse Google for doing what they do, but proclaim that Apple is the spawn of Satan for doing what they do. It's just the disparity that makes no sense. If you're going to bash Apple for protecting their IP, then you have to bash Google/OEMs for using IP without permission. Doesn't make sense not to.

In another thread about the IP lawsuit Apple filed against Samsung, one of the posters defending Apple were saying that Apple was right in suing because it is an American company and Samsung is an Asian company stealing their secrets. And yet he made no mention of the IP lawsuits filed against Apple because it is the reverse, an American company stealing secrets from non-American companies.

Both sides have a right to sue, there's no "great moves" by one side and the other side is doing something dumb. They're protecting their patents, that's all. Maybe Apple is in the news so much because more people are stealing their patents then the reverse, but the point is every company sues. Corporate lawsuits are not "patented" by Apple. That's just how business works. Complaining about patent law and how patents are given is irrelevant. IF a court finds that a patent is not legit, the court will decide fairly, like the Apple/Amazon "app store" thing was. I'm not bold enough to say I know more about patent law than the courts and organizations that govern those things. Pretty sure they're making a fair decision based on the facts, and not speculation.

If someone steals your IP, you sue. Plain and simple. Calling Apple a stifler of competition for suing, and then heralding HTC's countersuit as a "great move" makes no sense. They're both doing it for money, not to protect the greater good and provide a heavenly utopia where all smartphone users can exist in harmony like some people think. And the same goes in the reverse. If HTC finds that apple violated one of their patents, why wouldn't they sue? But that's a "great, smart move"? Why? But Apple's isn't?

The problem is that the US patent office has issued patents, and the courts have found in favor of patents, that are way too broad. The Apple/Samsung case revolves around Apple's patent that defines a "mobile communication device". It isn't that Samsung or any other company accused of violating Apple's IP rights is stealing source code or taking an iPhone apart and making exact duplicates of the hardware like some sweatshop in China is copying a Louis Vuitton purse. Instead of issuing patents for something tangible or readily traceable, they're issuing patents for a nebulous description of a process.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^When you mention Apple Products work brilliantly right out of the box....I would like to point you to macrumors troubling shooting sections of that forum....

The GPS in my Droid 1 and DX1 works nice. There was an issue where someone had my DX1 tried to use GPS and it knocked out GPS and 3G. A factory reset fixed it.

Not saying something isnt wrong with your DX1. But Apple product have their issues too. No company, product is perfect.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was in response to this:

Ya know the law suits really are getting out of hand in general, However you have to use the patent system we have.

Microsoft, Apple , Google, HTC, Samsung, Etc.... 2 Things in common.
1 They want more Money
2 At some point they stole an idea from someone else

If im not mistaken the Win for HTC only covers the Mac Computers with NVIDIA GPU's. In which Apple has been moving away from since the Problems with Intel and Nvidia escalated.

Like them or not Apple Products work brilliantly right out of the box.
Are the expensive? Yes , Some of them are.
Can everyone afford one? No

Off to call Verizon, Hopefully they can get the GPS to work on the X :(

jseah

Reaction score
I try not to pay attention to lawsuits because it is basically a chess match. Neither google or apple is totally innocent. In this case I let lawyers do what lawyers do. Because in the end its all about money. No one wants to stop the other from doing business they just want away to get paid from them doing business.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

This is why more and more employees in technology firms, regardless of hardware or software, are being evaluated and awarded based on the number of patents they have or create while employed with the company. Those patents are the property of the company that hired them when the patents were issued and is a new source of revenue for the company. I recall there was a statistic that said that Microsoft makes more money from patent licensing of Android phones than they do from the Windows 7 mobile OS licensing.

Patent lawsuits of today are the shareholder lawsuits of the 80's. Instead of lawyers looking at stock prices to sue a company when the stock price falls, you now have company lawyers suing over patents.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
In another thread about the IP lawsuit Apple filed against Samsung, one of the posters defending Apple were saying that Apple was right in suing because it is an American company and Samsung is an Asian company stealing their secrets. And yet he made no mention of the IP lawsuits filed against Apple because it is the reverse, an American company stealing secrets from non-American companies.

Both sides have a right to sue, there's no "great moves" by one side and the other side is doing something dumb. They're protecting their patents, that's all. Maybe Apple is in the news so much because more people are stealing their patents then the reverse, but the point is every company sues. Corporate lawsuits are not "patented" by Apple. That's just how business works. Complaining about patent law and how patents are given is irrelevant. IF a court finds that a patent is not legit, the court will decide fairly, like the Apple/Amazon "app store" thing was. I'm not bold enough to say I know more about patent law than the courts and organizations that govern those things. Pretty sure they're making a fair decision based on the facts, and not speculation.

If someone steals your IP, you sue. Plain and simple. Calling Apple a stifler of competition for suing, and then heralding HTC's countersuit as a "great move" makes no sense. They're both doing it for money, not to protect the greater good and provide a heavenly utopia where all smartphone users can exist in harmony like some people think. And the same goes in the reverse. If HTC finds that apple violated one of their patents, why wouldn't they sue? But that's a "great, smart move"? Why? But Apple's isn't?

The problem is that the US patent office has issued patents, and the courts have found in favor of patents, that are way too broad. The Apple/Samsung case revolves around Apple's patent that defines a "mobile communication device". It isn't that Samsung or any other company accused of violating Apple's IP rights is stealing source code or taking an iPhone apart and making exact duplicates of the hardware like some sweatshop in China is copying a Louis Vuitton purse. Instead of issuing patents for something tangible or readily traceable, they're issuing patents for a nebulous description of a process.

Yeah I mean that's a problem, but that's not an Apple problem or a Samsung problem. Like I mentioned earlier, you can't get mad at Apple for defending a patent that they were granted. It's not their fault. They applied for a patent, were given it, and it's up to the courts to decide if that patent was violated, or if it was just a broad ridiculous patent. And the courts will decide that. I see no issue with Apple suing whoever they want, same as I wouldn't see any issue with Google suing whoever they want.

It's not stifling competition, it's protecting your patents that were legally granted to you. Like I said, what would be the point of patents if you are supposed to feel bad about trying to defend them? It's not up to us to decide it's up to the courts.

If Apple is in the news all the time for suing people, it's because people are using their legal patents without permission. The "Apple is scared of Android and is trying to stop them" and "Apple has no innovation" stuff is cute and all, but that's just people who have no idea of the situation talking and it's companies willfully and knowingly violating patents...simple as that.

Rindaen

Reaction score
^When you mention Apple Products work brilliantly right out of the box....I would like to point you to macrumors troubling shooting sections of that forum....

The GPS in my Droid 1 and DX1 works nice. There was an issue where someone had my DX1 tried to use GPS and it knocked out GPS and 3G. A factory reset fixed it.

Not saying something isnt wrong with your DX1. But Apple product have their issues too. No company, product is perfect.

No Company has a Perfect record of delivering products that work 100% of the time. If they did there would be no need for Tech support.

And I guess my comment should have been about How long it takes to get a Windows PC setup compared to a Mac. If you have ever setup a New Windows system, the Updates are a Nightmare.

And then Comparing the setup process of the iPhone to the setup process of the Droid X. The iPhone was much simpler to setup as it supported syncing with my applications by defualt.

Im on my second Droid X , My Wife on her First as she has Zero problems with hers.
Mine is a different story all together.
Try to make a call > Phone reboots
Try to use GPS > Cant get Signal

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I'm waiting for some judge somewhere to throw all these cases out and make every manufacturer give everyone else $10-$15 a device and call it good.

jseah

Reaction score
Yeah I mean that's a problem, but that's not an Apple problem or a Samsung problem. Like I mentioned earlier, you can't get mad at Apple for defending a patent that they were granted. It's not their fault. They applied for a patent, were given it, and it's up to the courts to decide if that patent was violated, or if it was just a broad ridiculous patent. And the courts will decide that. I see no issue with Apple suing whoever they want, same as I wouldn't see any issue with Google suing whoever they want.

It's not stifling competition, it's protecting your patents that were legally granted to you. Like I said, what would be the point of patents if you are supposed to feel bad about trying to defend them? It's not up to us to decide it's up to the courts.

If Apple is in the news all the time for suing people, it's because people are using their legal patents without permission. The "Apple is scared of Android and is trying to stop them" and "Apple has no innovation" stuff is cute and all, but that's just people who have no idea of the situation talking and it's companies willfully and knowingly violating patents...simple as that.

Hey, if Lindsay Lohan can sue and get money from e*Trade for using "Lindsay, the milkaholic" in their commercials, then why shouldn't Apple try to get money.

At the end of the day, I don't believe Apple's goal is to stifle competition. They're selling plenty of iPhones. They just want HTC and Samsung to pay licensing fees.