Going from Droid 3 to Droid 4, have a few questions! Thanks!

Erikbal

Reaction score
Right now I have a Droid 3, tomorrow a new Droid 4 should be arriving at my house. I am very excited. The main reason for the upgrade is it will be paid for by money Verizon owes me for a warranty phone from last year, and they just started running 4g in my area a couple weeks ago and my brothers Bionic is seeing speeds of 21mbs + and honestly I WANT 4g!

My Droid 3 has been great to me and pretty much trouble free. I know the big difference going from this to the D4 will be the 4g internet speeds, but I'm also going from 1ghz dual core and 512mb of ram to 1.2ghz dual core and a gig of ram, how much of a noticeable difference will that make? Also I noticed that the Android version listed on Verizons website is the same for the D3 as the D4 except the D4 has an extra .5 at the end of it, so are there any major differences there? Also one more question, when I take my memory card from the D3 and put it in the D4, will my apps still be there or no? Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Right now I have a Droid 3, tomorrow a new Droid 4 should be arriving at my house. I am very excited. The main reason for the upgrade is it will be paid for by money Verizon owes me for a warranty phone from last year, and they just started running 4g in my area a couple weeks ago and my brothers Bionic is seeing speeds of 21mbs + and honestly I WANT 4g!

My Droid 3 has been great to me and pretty much trouble free. I know the big difference going from this to the D4 will be the 4g internet speeds, but I'm also going from 1ghz dual core and 512mb of ram to 1.2ghz dual core and a gig of ram, how much of a noticeable difference will that make? Also I noticed that the Android version listed on Verizons website is the same for the D3 as the D4 except the D4 has an extra .5 at the end of it, so are there any major differences there? Also one more question, when I take my memory card from the D3 and put it in the D4, will my apps still be there or no? Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The droid 4 is definitely a much faster phone than the droid 3. Ive gone from a 3 to 4 myself and its definitely noticeable peformance wise. However with the awful decision of not giving the user the option of swapping the battery for an extended one, battery life takes a hit. Ive used the phone light to moderate for an hour this morning and already lost 20%. Be ready to struggle with battery issues. The droid 3 had its issues but battery life was one of its high points for a smart phone. Regarding apps, they should all be synced to your gmail account, once you link it you can redownload directly from the store.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
E

Erikbal

Reaction score
I thought the more powerful battery would make up for the extra drain from 4g. Well the phone charged over night and this is its first time fully charged off the charger since I got it so I'll see how it does! I posted another thread with some questions maybe you'd be able to help me out with those. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I thought the more powerful battery would make up for the extra drain from 4g. Well the phone charged over night and this is its first time fully charged off the charger since I got it so I'll see how it does! I posted another thread with some questions maybe you'd be able to help me out with those. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

I ended up grabbing an extended battery for the droid 3 when it first came out so in comparison, i think it was still more powerful than what i have for the droid 4. Anyway id be glad to help with any other questions if i can.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

LordKastle

Reaction score
If you aren't heavily using the browser or doing things that are bandwidth intensive, go into the settings and change the data from LTE to 3G CDMA. Then when you know you are going to be using the browser or whatever else and want the bandwidth improvement, turn LTE back on. All LTE phones seem to leech off the battery even when idling. I am sure you will see an improvement in battery performance. If it becomes annoying for you to do, find a widget in the market to add to one of the home-screens.

Times when I used my device with WIFI (on and off) and 3G as the default with minimal browsing, quick navigation, a little bit on IRC, a little scanner radio, and a lot of text messaging... the battery lasted 2-3 days.