Going from D1 to D3 What can I expect?

droidreajoh

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of Droid 3's friday will be here tuesday. got the BOGO. Wife is upgrading from LG3. I'm going from D1 to D3. Currently there is nothing wrong with my D1. I think I will just keep the D3 in the top dresser drawer until D1 craps out. What can i expect from D3 that I'm not getting with D1?

spillner

Reaction score
Having owned a stock D1:

You are getting
1) a much snappier phone.
2) a useful keyboard (really the best qwerty on the market)
3) smoother web browsing and the ability to actually use flash with no problems.
4) Motos cool widgets like quick contacts, news and inbox (I really like them)
5) 16 gigs of internal storage ( I have a 32gig sd card in mine giving me a whopping 48 gigs of space!)
6) 1080p video recording ( looks amazing in the right light)
7) global capabilities ( I will find this useful)
8) Motos UI, Its pretty cool but if its not your thing you can always switch to a home replacement.

What your not getting:
1) Unlocked bootloader
2) Vanilla Android
3) Physical camera button
4) Pictures without a bluish tint in the stock app (bandaid fix with certain setting in Camera360 or ZoomFx)
5) Easy to remove battery door

The pros outweigh the cons. I had a rooted D1 running SS 5.4 OC to 1 gig and this phone just crushes it on performance, especially with web browsing which has always been a pet peeve of mine. You will be happy.

Nealius

Reaction score
Unless you are rooted Con#5 doesnt matter. My battery door is almost shot on my D1 dancedroid

spruleme

Reaction score
Having owned a stock D1:

You are getting
1) a much snappier phone.
2) a useful keyboard (really the best qwerty on the market)
3) smoother web browsing and the ability to actually use flash with no problems.
4) Motos cool widgets like quick contacts, news and inbox (I really like them)
5) 16 gigs of internal storage ( I have a 32gig sd card in mine giving me a whopping 48 gigs of space!)
6) 1080p video recording ( looks amazing in the right light)
7) global capabilities ( I will find this useful)
8) Motos UI, Its pretty cool but if its not your thing you can always switch to a home replacement.

What your not getting:
1) Unlocked bootloader
2) Vanilla Android
3) Physical camera button
4) Pictures without a bluish tint in the stock app (bandaid fix with certain setting in Camera360 or ZoomFx)
5) Easy to remove battery door

The pros outweigh the cons. I had a rooted D1 running SS 5.4 OC to 1 gig and this phone just crushes it on performance, especially with web browsing which has always been a pet peeve of mine. You will be happy.

+1, I came from a D1 and agree on every one of your points. I also was a faithful SS rom user and I must say the D3 still blows it away. Gingerbread on the D1 was a bad experience anyway.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

droidreajoh

Reaction score
Thanks for reply spillner. Looking fwd to more speed and space.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

hoosiermama

Reaction score
I went from the D1 to the 3, and I love it! The only negative I see is the blue tint to the camera, but I can edit pics when I save them to the computer. I love the speed. I love that Swype works on this phone (the beta on the D1 quit working for me). I love the screen size and the speed. My D1 had gotten really laggy. Honestly, I can't think of anything I DON'T like about this phone, other than the blue tint.

jl3366

Reaction score
Had about a week now to play with my D3, coming from the D1. Love it so far. It seems light years faster that my D1, plays websites with streaming video extremely well, and hasn't lagged or force closed once so far.

My only issue so far is the lack of "pinchability" for the pictures. I'm used to being able to seamlessly pinch pics right after taking them...it seems this is impossible unless you view your pictures in the actual Gallery app, and even when doing that, it's hardly smooth.

OP
D

droidreajoh

Reaction score
I dont like it so much. Setting notification sounds on d1 was easier. Pinch zoom is jittery. Sd card and phone storage operate as seperate drives. Can't figure out how to turn off haptic in handcent.

spillner

Reaction score
Had about a week now to play with my D3, coming from the D1. Love it so far. It seems light years faster that my D1, plays websites with streaming video extremely well, and hasn't lagged or force closed once so far.

My only issue so far is the lack of "pinchability" for the pictures. I'm used to being able to seamlessly pinch pics right after taking them...it seems this is impossible unless you view your pictures in the actual Gallery app, and even when doing that, it's hardly smooth.

You can download the 2.2 gallery from the market. It works great.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I dont like it so much. Setting notification sounds on d1 was easier. Pinch zoom is jittery. Sd card and phone storage operate as seperate drives. Can't figure out how to turn off haptic in handcent.

That doesn't make any sense, setting notifications is exactly the same as you did on the D1. A "generic" default settings in the main menu/settings/sounds and then each app having their settings (or will use the default one if not set).

snowman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys I'm thinking of upgrading also

OP
D

droidreajoh

Reaction score
D3 is a glitch monster. Today 2 hours of driving with navigation searching for satellite. Incoming calls not using selected ringtone. When in cradle in car and I receive a text in handcent i get a force close of car dock. If i was in my first 14 days I'd RETURN IT AND GO BACK TO D1