Goes Wonky When Charging

RHeaps

Reaction score
Greetings all...new to the forum and about a week to the phone. Only issue is when I put the phone on the charger, mostly with an aftermarket charger (although it has done it with the factory charger once), the phone goes all wonky. It acts like I'm trying to press buttons, find info, ect... and today, it even went from the home screen to the phone call button, brought up my home number and dialed it.....all without me even touching the phone. The only way I can get it to charge without acting up like that is to turn the phone off, then insert the charger and let it stand. Is this normal or is it an issue with aftermarket chargers.

As stated above, I've only had the phone about a week and the store where I got it has a 30 day return policy, so I guess I can exchange it if this is a serious issue. Thanks for your help.

mskks64

Reaction score
it's the charger i bought one to awhile back and did the same thing. it shouldn't do it with the regular charger

ShowTime

Reaction score
It's a well known issue when using aftermarket chargers. There are some that are known to work. Might try a search of the forum to see what you can turn up.

OP
R

RHeaps

Reaction score
So do I just dump the aftermarket chargers. Will they damage the phone

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So do I just dump the aftermarket chargers. Will they damage the phone

well they're pretty much useless when your phone goes all wonky right?

when it comes to expensive devices such as our Droids, it's better to stick to OEM accessories anyway.

mike

Reaction score
My Droid, which I've had since launch day last year, starting acting just this way last week. It has gotten progressively worse - this is not just when on the charger but all the time. I can barely even use it right now. It presses icons, scrolls, zooms, and any crazy thing as soon as I unlock the phone. The battery is shot long before the end of the day.

I charge it on the Motorola multimedia dock designed for the phone, and on any number of car chargers that I have in different vehicles. So is it the fault of a non-OEM charger?

Either way, I'm headed for Best Buy tonight... I have their black tie insurance or whatever it's called. I'll get to see whether the Geek Squad is as bad as all the horrible reviews online...

OP
R

RHeaps

Reaction score
I used the OEM charger last night and there were no issues so I will get rid of the other chargers.....they were 99-cent ones from eBay
anyway. I've got a dock charger on order.