Go Launcher...

billyk

Reaction score
Got a a couple of questions for Go Launcher users. I enjoy my stock launcher and find it to be very fast when moving between screens, but it doesn't offer landscape view for the home page. I am previously a long-time Launcher Pro user, but I've read that it's not well-supported any longer. So, I tried Go yesterday, and I immediately noticed a slighly less responsive touch when swiping between screens - it doesn't seem to be as fast as stock.

Do you also find Go to be a bit less responsive to swiping between screens on the Bionic?
Do you find any other drawbacks to Go?

-bk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got a a couple of questions for Go Launcher users. I enjoy my stock launcher and find it to be very fast when moving between screens, but it doesn't offer landscape view for the home page. I am previously a long-time Launcher Pro user, but I've read that it's not well-supported any longer. So, I tried Go yesterday, and I immediately noticed a slighly less responsive touch when swiping between screens - it doesn't seem to be as fast as stock.

Do you also find Go to be a bit less responsive to swiping between screens on the Bionic?
Do you find any other drawbacks to Go?

-bk

I've been using Go Launcher since I experienced lag/redraw issues with LP on the Bionic.

A few minutes ago I switched between stock home and Go and noticed no difference in scrolling speeds. I switched from screen to screen over and over with both and they looked to same to me and my tired old eyes!! YMMV.

I am leery of though however about the Go Launcher on the Bionic is the use of their widgets. Just this morning I found two people that were having restarts and/or Black Screen of Death and both were using Go Widgets. Nothing concrete yet to prove the widgets are the culprit, but it's worth keeping in the back of your mind if you develop issues. I've never used them and have had zero issues with Go Launcher on my Bionic in almost two weeks now. Again, YMMV.

CronoDL

Reaction score
I use Go Laucnher and it's better than the other launchers I've tried. It's very customizable. If you think the scrolling is slow, you can go into the Preferences and adjust that too. I haven't had any problems with Go. The only thing I don't like is when that Go uses their own desktop folder interface, instead of the stock desktop (which I find faster). But it's not a big deal as there are ways around it.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks CronoDL: I am thinking I may have to try it again and give it a few days.

qwiksilver96

Reaction score
Missing App Icons and crashes with Go Launcher

I've experienced many crashes/reboots (seemingly spontaneous) with my Bionic. I've uninstalled Go Launcher and that seems to have helped tremendously, though, I also cleared my cache around the same time.

At the time that I uninstalled Go Launcher, I didn't know that some suspected that it was possibly the cause for the behavior of my phone. The main reason that I uninstalled Go Launcher is that Application Icons were missing in the app drawer. It may have been related to the fact that the missing icons had been placed into a "Favorites" type of folder on the home screen.

Frank

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Looks like I need to do a bit more research into Go Launcher. My Bionic is 100% stable, all the time. Don't want to futz with that!

jhom

Reaction score
I tried Go Launcher for a while on the Bionic. I didn't noticed any specific problems. However, I felt it was a tad slower to respond compared to Launcher Pro or the stock launcher. I'm back to LP for now.

ChuckDz3

Reaction score
I too tried GO Launcher and found it to be slugglish and non responsive. I used it to its full potential. Themes, widgets, ect. so I could not exactly pinpoint what the root of the problem might have been. Back to stock for now. Am I allowed to say I kind of like Blur too? :blink:

scdown

Reaction score
I've been using Go Launcher since I experienced lag/redraw issues with LP on the Bionic.

A few minutes ago I switched between stock home and Go and noticed no difference in scrolling speeds. I switched from screen to screen over and over with both and they looked to same to me and my tired old eyes!! YMMV.

I am leery of though however about the Go Launcher on the Bionic is the use of their widgets. Just this morning I found two people that were having restarts and/or Black Screen of Death and both were using Go Widgets. Nothing concrete yet to prove the widgets are the culprit, but it's worth keeping in the back of your mind if you develop issues. I've never used them and have had zero issues with Go Launcher on my Bionic in almost two weeks now. Again, YMMV.

The GO Widgets were one variable I've not reintroduced since my last Factory Reset. The other was JuiceDefender (I opted for a simpler mechanism, to disable background syncing for FB/Twitter, etc., as that suits my usage needs). In the last 7 days, I've not had a BSOD.

The sporadic nature of these, and the fact that people were REALLY talking up GO Launcher in these forums since the phone launched, makes me suspect the widget (in my case, the GO Weather widget).

TTGG

Reaction score
Droid Bionic Crashes with Go Launcher and Widgets

I installed Go Launcher hoping to get past the stock 5 screen limit. I really like the interface and the options but my phone did reset on its own twice a day at least. Suspecting Go Launcher or Go Widgets I uninstalled all and reverted back to stock. Haven't had a reset for 5 days. Definitely an issue with Bionic.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Well, I tried Go for a day and once again, I just switched back to stock.

To me, stock feels snappier, and the appearance is very polished. Sure, it has some constraints - most notably the lack of landscape for the home screen - but I still prefer it.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I installed Go Launcher hoping to get past the stock 5 screen limit. I really like the interface and the options but my phone did reset on its own twice a day at least. Suspecting Go Launcher or Go Widgets I uninstalled all and reverted back to stock. Haven't had a reset for 5 days. Definitely an issue with Bionic.

I'm still betting on the Go Widgets. I've had Go Launcher on my Bionic since about day 2 or 3 without any problems. I do not, however, use any of the Go Widgets. YMMV!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I tried Go for a day and once again, I just switched back to stock.

To me, stock feels snappier, and the appearance is very polished. Sure, it has some constraints - most notably the lack of landscape for the home screen - but I still prefer it.

Well, that exactly what having all these great customizations is all about; finding the ones that like and using them.

I sure hope you are enjoying your new Bionic as much as I am!! :biggrin:

willlayb

Reaction score
sorry for being a little off topic but does anyone know how to get the stock favorites pulldown widget into go launcher? i cant seem to figure it out