Go-go gadget wi-fi

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
i need an app that will do this:

as soon as i walk into my house...it auto connects to my home network. and when i leave my network it auto disconnects...any good apps for that!? thanks in advance!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i used Y5 battery saver - pretty sure this is what you want

justicw

Reaction score
I use timeriffic it has saved me a bunch of battery time

djh074

Reaction score

as soon as i walk into my house...it auto connects to my home network. and when i leave my network it auto disconnects...any good apps for that!? thanks in advance!

i dont understand. mine does that stock!

BuglessFan

Reaction score
I think he means turning the actual WiFi off and on, so it doesn't keep scanning. I use Locale to turn it on when I'm at home, and I have a default "WiFi" off setting, which I can turn off independently everywhere else.

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

i dont understand. mine does that stock!

thats if u leave wifi on aaaaalllll day. i dont want that. i want something that detects my home wifi network...then connects to it. but as soon as i leave my home wifi network...it disconnects and shuts wifi off. there are apps out there that do this. im gonna try the suggested apps from above posts. if anyone else has one let me know! thanks

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can leave wifi on all day. Just set it to NOT scan for open networks. I don't think you need to constantly toggle wifi on and off...I don't think it saves much battery power. wifi, gps, bluetooth: just leave it all on, I say.

techguru

Reaction score
Locale works great for this. It will, depending on your location detection settings momentarily toggle wifi on and off periodically, but only of you actually are using wifi as one of your location sources. Still saves a ton of battery life. Tasker is another option (not in the market. Google it)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Locale works great for this. It will, depending on your location detection settings momentarily toggle wifi on and off periodically, but only of you actually are using wifi as one of your location sources. Still saves a ton of battery life. Tasker is another option (not in the market. Google it)

Is it using GPS to find out where you are? Even if it's just using the cell network, the fact that it is constantly running in the background means it is using resources. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm just saying that people might want to try it both ways. Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem, in other words.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wi-Fi scanning doesn't take up barely any juice at all. Anything you do to try to save power will end up costing more power than it saves.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wi-Fi scanning doesn't take up barely any juice at all. Anything you do to try to save power will end up costing more power than it saves.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. I just turned it off because I don't like being notified all the time about open (and possibly insecure) wifi hotspots

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything you do to try to save power will end up costing more power than it saves.

I pretty much agree, but not totally. For example I can manually shut off the screen when I'm done using the phone instead of waiting for it to time out. And it might depend on how you use your phone. I could imagine someone who wants data off during certain hours. An app to do this could end up saving power.