Gnex on Virgin Mobile in the US?

hockeyhead019

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I did some searches and heard it was supposed to drop in the US on virgin mobile back in december of last year. So what happened? It seems to me like it's only available in Canada? Is that because of the GSM vs CMDA difference between the US virgin and the Canada virgin? If anybody has any light they'd like to shed on this I'd be very appreciative... also does anybody know if you can unlock the CMDA version and run it on virgin's network? Just curious as I'm sick of the big red and I'd like to shift (however that discussion is irrellevant to the one of whether or not I can get a Gnex on Virgin Mobile lol)

Cheers

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I did some searches and heard it was supposed to drop in the US on virgin mobile back in december of last year. So what happened? It seems to me like it's only available in Canada? Is that because of the GSM vs CMDA difference between the US virgin and the Canada virgin? If anybody has any light they'd like to shed on this I'd be very appreciative... also does anybody know if you can unlock the CMDA version and run it on virgin's network? Just curious as I'm sick of the big red and I'd like to shift (however that discussion is irrellevant to the one of whether or not I can get a Gnex on Virgin Mobile lol)

Cheers

Virgin Mobile in the US doesn't have anything in common with the Virgin mobiles elsewhere, outside of the name. Virgin Mobile US was purchased by Sprint a couple years back. I would assume Sprint would change the name eventually to reflect that. But yes VM in other markets it is highly probable that they are GSM, compared to the CDMA that is what the US/Sprint version is.

I have heard nothing about them getting the Galaxy Nexus outside of the rumors of them getting in December like you mentioned. I remember getting a little angry that Virgin Mobile was going to get the GN prior to VZW, as at the time the release date for VZW kept getting pushed back.