GMail stopped syncing to phone...

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
UPDATE:

After going to my contact list, I hit the menu button and went to "Accounts" since I remembered it showed the accounts for google/facebook syncing there. It showed my google account as off with an error. I tapped it to turn it back on, and it connected. I think looked under the google account where it shows options for contacts, gmail etc...

When I tried to disable and re-enable the gmail option, it said that gmail syncing had a problem, but would be back shortly.

So, maybe google is doing something or it is temporarily down?

Let me know if anyone else is having this issue or if its just me.

========

I noticed that recently, my GMail app that comes pre-installed no longer syncs with my GMail account. It never alerts or shows any new emails.

I can see my new unread emails on the mobile web browser, but not from the app itself. I noticed that I had set "always use https" in my settings on gmail a few days ago, and it caused my GMail Notifier program on the PC to always get an error. So today I changed my settings on my email account to "do not always use https (the default option) and now my PC GMail Notifier is working, but my sync with the DROID's GMail app still will not show new/unread emails or notifications.

I tried manually using the refresh option on the app in the phone, andi t shows the refreshing icon for a few seconds in the notification bar, but its still not reporting new emails...

Last edited:

Dream

Reaction score
I think this is a google server issue for I have the same problems, but mine come through when I refresh. It's on and off for me, one day it will work perfectly, getting new emails within seconds, others, like today its on and off.

I HOPE its a google server issue, and not a phone hardware issue. I just wish they would notify us when this kind of stuff happens.

Danthok

Reaction score
G-mail and my calendar work flawless for me but my contacts will not sync

pequannock

Reaction score
I'm having similar issue. Not receiving new gmail notification except when I manually refresh the gmail inbox from my Droid. It was working fine until yesterday, but all of a sudden it no longer automatically syncs with gmail. I haven't changed any settings or downloaded any apps or anything that might explain why this is happening. Any ideas?

Dream

Reaction score
I got a new Droid because of this issue. No problems so far and its been about a week.

GoGators

Reaction score
I now have the same issue, I only get emails when I hit refresh. This started yesterday. Up to then it worked fine. Hopefully there is an answer to this.

jenjen

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue Pequannock and GoGators. It was working fine earlier and then I happened to notice on my computer that I had 5 new emails but no notifications on my phone. Mine also works when manually refreshing.

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue Pequannock and GoGators. It was working fine earlier and then I happened to notice on my computer that I had 5 new emails but no notifications on my phone. Mine also works when manually refreshing.

Try doing a Factory data reset. My phone had completely stopped syncing with gmail (even manual refresh didnt work). After doing a reset, it was all working fine.

Not exactly an ideal situation, but at least it will download and install your apps automatically again. You won't lose any pictures/video on your memory card either. You will have to edit your phone and app settings again, though.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Try turning off the phone and turning it back on. I had to do this tonight because gmail quit pushing email notification.

jenjen

Reaction score
Try doing a Factory data reset. My phone had completely stopped syncing with gmail (even manual refresh didnt work). After doing a reset, it was all working fine.

Not exactly an ideal situation, but at least it will download and install your apps automatically again. You won't lose any pictures/video on your memory card either. You will have to edit your phone and app settings again, though.

Thanks for the tip. I may try that...or I may just go to Verizon and have them give me a new phone, since I just got this one Monday. Seems just as easy! :)

Try turning off the phone and turning it back on. I had to do this tonight because gmail quit pushing email notification.

Already tried that. :( I've gotten one notification since I posted, but then another email came through and I didn't get that notification. So I dunno what's going on...

dp2sholly

Reaction score
Same issue here. I spent half the day testing things out and it's an intermittent problem for me. It works and then it doesn't work, it works for one gmail account and not another (and then vice versa). It works every time I manually sync. Turning off & back on didn't improve the situation. Haven't pinned down what factors cause it to work or not work, just know a manual sync works each time which leads me to believe the sync service gets turned off or disrupted for some reason. I've disabled Locale and un-installed WiSync and any other app that effects syncing (that I know of).

pequannock

Reaction score
My situation seems to have resolved itself after turning the phone off and then back on. It may be because I had turned off GTalk Service in order to save battery.

Dream

Reaction score
I noticed this last night. I killed the GTalk app and my emails stopped being pushed. Once I turned that back on the emails starting coming through again. We might be on to something here :)

dp2sholly

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem for the past few days. Just got my Moto Droid last week and it worked fine out of the box for the first few days. Earlier this week I stopped getting push emails/notifications or it was very sporadic in working. When it was not working, I could force a sync by using the Sync button on the power tool widget and I'd get the notification, but it would not automatically sync.

I've been doing quite a bit of testing the last few days trying to isolate the issue and so far I think it has to do with some application interfering with the sync process. Last night I uninstalled all the apps I've installed from the Market and did a factory reset. If you just do a factory reset without uninstalling the apps, the device will just sync your previously installed apps after the reset (nice feature btw).

My Droid is now running with the base apps that come with it, and in the last 18 hours I've had it this way email sync/notifications works fine (for both accounts I have setup). I have noticed that if you receive an email notification and do not clear it (either hitting Clear in the notifications tab or tapping on the email notification in the tab or acting on the message in Gmail - read, delete, mark as read, archive, etc...), subsequent new mail notifications are not made (no notification sound) though the email list in the notification tab does reflect all the additional messages received. If you clear each notification or act on the new messages in Gmail, each new message will create a new notification.

I will run it this way for another day or two and then start adding apps to see if I can figure out if it's a specific app or a specific type of app.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: