Gmail over wifi?

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Is tyere a way to use the gmail app over wifi rather than the 3g?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you are connected to wifi I think gmail will default to that for its data transfer. I could be wrong though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gmail comes in just fine on wifi. I get it on my Droid 2 and iPad, no problem. And my iPad doesn't have data all it has is wifi.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I'm connectrd to wifi now, I can go to gmail.com and check it that way but when I load the app, it says no connectiom

sul7en

Reaction score
if you can't connect via wifi then somewhere you have a FW blocking the ports gmail uses.
the app works fine over wifi.

Last edited:
OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Just tried on a different network and still having the same issue. Is there a setting somewhere in my phone?

scubieman

Reaction score
Just tried on a different network and still having the same issue. Is there a setting somewhere in my phone?

If your phone is rooted you can get a firewall app which blocks all 3G connections unless allowed. I know my droid x has option to stop all data. I also have the option to stop sync which allows 3g if I open the app but no background service can use 3g to keep up to date.

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Still not working, does not say no connection anymore, but when I try to send an email, it keeps saying sending... until I enable data again.

born2golf

Reaction score
Still not working, does not say no connection anymore, but when I try to send an email, it keeps saying sending... until I enable data again.

huh? How are your disabling data in the first place?

OP
V

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I was disabling data by menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>unchecking background data and data enabled. I used bettercut to make a shortcut to the data manger to get rid of a few steps.

I think I fixed it by menu>settings>wireless & networks>wi-fi settings>menu key>advanced>wi-fi sleep policy>change that to never
I'll see tomorrow