Gmail Notifications

walkerparalegal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZTE N9130
Twitter
@walkerlegalgj
I am Jeff (username is walkerparalegal) and have an LG G4. My phone is FINALLY sending me notifications of new Gmail messages. I finally hit on the right settings, I guess. But I am getting TWO notifications for one message; One notification has some of the message, but the other notification just says my email address. How do I turn off the second notification? Or is this normal? I have Android Marshmallow. Thank you for any help! I am sending a screenshot for review. I'd like to just get the top (preview) notification. Thaank you!
New Guy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-23-10-20-18[1].png
    Screenshot_2020-07-23-10-20-18[1].png
    597.5 KB · Views: 217

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think something is incorrect in your G Mail notification settings. I'm not exactly sure what, but some setting is causing the duplicates.

Do you have any custom filters setup that automatically move messages to different folders, assign different labels, anything like that? And filters or rules you created?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
walkerparalegal

walkerparalegal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZTE N9130
Twitter
@walkerlegalgj
I think something is incorrect in your G Mail notification settings. I'm not exactly sure what, but some setting is causing the duplicates.

Do you have any custom filters setup that automatically move messages to different folders, assign different labels, anything like that? And filters or rules you created?

Thanks for answering Sajo! I've checked everything, even labels settings, which I don't have. I get notified when my inbox gets an email. It's just funny that the preview message is on my phone (first few sentences) and the second notification just shows my email address. First message doesn't show my email address. I've looked at my Nova settings, too. I don't mind clearing both notifications, I just tap the clear button. When I go to Gmail, there is just the one message so I can live with it. It just causes my notification ringtone to play twice! God Bless Sajo! Nice talking. I installed Tapatalk, but still can't figure out all the options on the menu bar! Grateful for your time, brother!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A quick Google search states that this usually caused by a custom label and mail going to that label. Try looking at:

Gmail > Settings > select account with labels > Manage Labels > Select each label and uncheck "label notifications" that way the only notification you get is when it gets to the inbox, not a double notification for inbox AND the label

OP
walkerparalegal

walkerparalegal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ZTE N9130
Twitter
@walkerlegalgj
Thanks Sajo! You were RIGHT! I had set-up a priority inbox and an everything else inbox. I made just one inbox and am now OK! You're a genius, as always! Thank you! How do I give you points or awards?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks Sajo! You were RIGHT! I had set-up a priority inbox and an everything else inbox. I made just one inbox and am now OK! You're a genius, as always! Thank you! How do I give you points or awards?
You are welcome, glad that helped. No need to give any kind of points or anything. We are glad to help each other and we all learn new things in the process.