Gmail contacts - DroidX

bill hansen

Reaction score
Searching these forums for "Gmail contacts" I see many references to Gamail contacts being visible on Android phones. I see my Gmail contacts just fine in Gmail on the computer, but the don't show up on the DroidX. Are they hidden somewhere?

Tasks show up normally on the DroidX, strange things like "Buzz....Adverts...Chats" but I can't find the useful list of Contacts.

Bill Hansen

doniago

Reaction score
From the Home screen, go into Settings->Accounts. Select your gmail account. Is "Sync Contacts" checked off?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Don't forget to go into Contacts, hit the Menu button and select Display Group, and then the Gmail account you want to see. That's what it sounds like you are missing to me.

OP
B

bill hansen

Reaction score
I think I understand. You are both saying that there is no way to look up Contact from within the DroidX gmail app itself. That means the only ways to send an email directly from the Gmail app are by manually typing in the address, or by replying to an existing email. I need to go out of Gmail, over to Contacts, locate my Contact there, and press on the email icon in my Contacts. Right? It seems needlessly cumbersome. I thought there would be a way to view Contacts from within Gmail. No??

Incidentally, in Home Screen/Settings/Accounts/[my gmail address] Synch Contacts, Synch Gmail, and Synch Calendar are all selected. Gmail itself, the Calendar and Tasks are all available from within Gmail on the DroidX, but Contacts do not appear from within Gmail. It just seems a strange way to do things. Am I misunderstanding something?

Bill

Technoman

Reaction score
Bill.... all you need to do is start to type a contact and it will pop up a list of choices based on your loaded contacts. It really is very simple and the best way to do it.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I think I misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you just couldn't see your Gmail contacts at all but they are synchronized to your phone's list of contacts and you might not have been seeing them if your contact listing was set to Phone Contacts or Facebook Contacts, etc. Setting the display group to Google Gmail will display them. That's not what you were asking though!

Now that I know you are trying to display a list of contacts when you are composing a message, I now see you are right. There apparently is no way to see a list of contacts when you select the To: field. That is a bit lame indeed. As Technoman has pointed out, you could just start typing and it will automatically select from your list of contacts. When it autocompletes enough of the right contact, you are on your way.

HOWEVER, I find that typing the contact is not the easiest way for me. Instead, I select the contact differently. I open Contacts, quickly scroll to the person I want to email, select them and the contact opens, I select the @ icon next to their e-mail address, and it pops up a box asking if I want to use the built in mail or Gmail and I select Gmail and POOF! I'm in the Gmail compose screen in the Subject field ready to go. No typing of someone's name or address at all. It's very fast.

THAT to me is the easiest way.