Gmail app force closes evertime i try to open it.

MotorolaDroid

Reaction score
i think this all started when i tried to email a PDF file using the scan2pdf application.... now anytime i use my droid email on my gmail app it force closes upon entry. i think its stuck sending this message and i cant stop it! It still hasnt sent and its been a few days now. as soon as i scroll down a bit to where it says "loading conversations" this causes it to Force close.

Weird part is, i have 2 emails on the gmail app, and as along as i click the Menu button faster than the FC window comes up, i can get into my other gmail acct with no issues, and it will still receive new email notifications....and i can send / receive emails with it.... the app will force close though once it tries to load conversations from my other email.

Not sure what i can do!!!!! i know there is no way to log out, and i really dont want to do a factory reset :(

please let me know if theres anything i can do.

i tried to clear the data under settings > manage apps, but it did nothing!

thanks for the help in advance
kevin

taz1458

Reaction score
I am having the exact same FC issue. I tried to download a picture from an email when mine started however.

Reaction score
i think this all started when i tried to email a PDF file using the scan2pdf application.... now anytime i use my droid email on my gmail app it force closes upon entry. i think its stuck sending this message and i cant stop it! It still hasnt sent and its been a few days now. as soon as i scroll down a bit to where it says "loading conversations" this causes it to Force close.

Weird part is, i have 2 emails on the gmail app, and as along as i click the Menu button faster than the FC window comes up, i can get into my other gmail acct with no issues, and it will still receive new email notifications....and i can send / receive emails with it.... the app will force close though once it tries to load conversations from my other email.

Not sure what i can do!!!!! i know there is no way to log out, and i really dont want to do a factory reset :(

kevin

I would download Advanced Task Killer and kill Gmail. While its killed, go to Settings > Manage Apps > Gmail > Delete all data & clear defaults.

taz1458

Reaction score

kevin

I would download Advanced Task Killer and kill Gmail. While its killed, go to Settings > Manage Apps > Gmail > Delete all data & clear defaults.

Before I even seen your post, I just went in and cleared my data from the gmail app and it works fine now. So thanks anyways, haha

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

The task killer is an un-needed part of the fix.

ChugIt

Reaction score
One of my Droids was doing the exact same thing not long ago. I flashed back to 2.0.1, to 2.1 (I keep that particular one unrooted right now) and it mysteriously quit having the issue. I'm not sure if it was an app previously installed that did it or what. I didn't feel like troubleshooting it so I "formatted".

ChugIt

Reaction score
Be sure to clear the cache from both gmail and gmail storage. You may not be able to see the latter unless you "Applications>ManageApplications>Menu>Filter:All"

I tried that when my Droid did it and it didn't help. That is why I started all over. Maybe it will work for him/her though. Let us know how it goes.

klh6977

Reaction score
Same issue

I have the Droid X which worked fine until today. I tried the suggestion of clearing all the cache, data and defaults and that did not help. I can open the gmail app and see my emails and even open an email if I am fast enough. Once I scroll down my list of emails or even I don't scroll, it will eventually close. I don't receive an error notice. Sometimes it says connection failed. But all other email clients and even google talk works. I powered down, changed my sync days to 1, and did a battery pull. I don't understand why it just stopped working.