GMail App Attachments

APeX3181

Reaction score
I was hoping with the recent 2.2 update that they would have addressed this issue, but I'm still unable to download certain attachments using the GMail app.

For instance, I e-mail myself an Excel spreadsheet (which can be viewed using QuickOffice). When I open the message in the GMail app, for some reason it lets me download an embedded picture in the message, but not the actual attachment. I'm only able to "Preview".

The only way to actually download the file is by accessing my GMail through the browser. Does anyone know of a way to get this to work properly?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It must be setting you have. I just sent myself two emails to my gmail account. One with an Excel spreadsheet and one with a pdf. Both files could be opened. One thing may be that I use Documents To Go as my program to view these types of files. Maybe that's why I can open them???

Good luck.

erich93063

Reaction score
I use an app I found in the market called Blackmoon AttachSave Lite. It allows you to download ANY file attachment from gmail.

OP
APeX3181

APeX3181

Reaction score
I got that app today and it works great! Thanks for the tip :)

DroidJT

Reaction score
+1 for Blackmoon attachsave. Beware, other 2.2 froyo gmail attachment use options are disabled when using this app (such as directly install .apk, vcards, etc gmail attachments) and will instead require you to save to SD first. Small price for more options.

haledroid

Reaction score
I was hoping with the recent 2.2 update that they would have addressed this issue, but I'm still unable to download certain attachments using the GMail app.

For instance, I e-mail myself an Excel spreadsheet (which can be viewed using QuickOffice). When I open the message in the GMail app, for some reason it lets me download an embedded picture in the message, but not the actual attachment. I'm only able to "Preview".

The only way to actually download the file is by accessing my GMail through the browser. Does anyone know of a way to get this to work properly?

I had the same issue:

I removed quick office by using root explorer. file location: system/app/quickoffice.apk
I then uninstalled the gmail updates from applications.
Rebooted my phone.
Installed documents to go free version and adobe pdf reader
installed Gmail updates
When I clicked on preview from gmail the attachment downloaded and opened.

Hope this helps anyone else. PM me with questions.