Gmail and Hotmail (Yes I Did a Search)

Logan176

Reaction score
I did a search and read many posts about hotmail and gmail syncing but I couldn't find the answer to my questions. So here we go...

I understand that Hotmail will not sync with the Dinc. I also understand that Gmail will and that Gmail really does work better with Android. I really like syncing of Gmail, however, I'm not ready to give up my Hotmail address, at least not yet.

The biggest plus to Hotmail in my eyes is the ability to only have emails from my contacts delivered to my inbox. Emails from people that are not in my contacts or on my safe list are automatically diverted to the junk folder. This is done with one click of the mouse.

So what I want to do is have my emails forwarded from Hotmail to Gmail (which I know how to do). But can Gmail keep the mail from my contacts separate from all other emails? If so, how do I do this?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why won't the Dinc work with Hotmail? Other droids work with hotmail.

I don't know the answer to your main question.

OP
L

Logan176

Reaction score
The Dinc works with Hotmail, but because Hotmail uses POP3 it will not sync with a mobile device. When you get a new email there is a copy of it on your Dinc and on the PC. When you delete the message on the Dinc it does not get deleted from your PC. When you use Gmail if a message is deleted on one device it is automatically deleted from the server, which deletes the message from the PC as well. Now that I have a smartphone this syncing ability makes things much easier.

So does anyone out there know if Gmail can accept emails from my contacts while filtering out all others?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The stock email client is buggy and no one should use it. It also lacks features. I use K9 with a POP3 account. I set "delete from server when I delete".

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only way to do what you're wanting to do is with Gmail filters and labels - but for what you're trying to do, that could be tedious.

Edit: I take that back... one thing you could do is this. Create a filter in gmail that's simply "to:****@hotmail.com" and have it automatically label and archive those. Then you can create a shortcut to that label on your Droid home screen. That's the quickest solution I can think of that won't take you the time of custom filtering all of your contacts and all of that.

I still use Hotmail as well, and I can tell you there's not a great solution... yet. Microsoft is supposed to be rolling out Exchange ActiveSync for Hotmail within the next few weeks, in which case you can put it in the Email app as an exchange account, and if it works right, everything will sync up accordingly.

Last edited: