Glad I didn't wait for the new iPhone

LadyPhoenix

Reaction score
yup... such a big hype.......for what.... voice commands....:rofl2:
sorry.. had to insert that icon lol

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's funny people keep mentioning hype, when this phone wasn't nearly as hyped as the Bionic, and by reading the threads here, the hype definitely didn't live up to it's name. But no one will admit that now that there is a new iPhone to bash.

Drumwolf

Reaction score
it's funny people keep mentioning hype, when this phone wasn't nearly as hyped as the Bionic, and by reading the threads here, the hype definitely didn't live up to it's name. But no one will admit that now that there is a new iPhone to bash.

Not hyped? Are you kidding me? This phone was hyped so much even WSJ looked bad at the end of it all. Speculation on this & that, all it ended up being was a revised version. As soon as you heard the words "iPhone 4S" everyone's reaction was :huh: as if in utter shock or confusion. Now maybe on these forums the iPhone wasn't hyped as much as the Bionic, but I know elsewhere nothing came close to the iPhone which explains the letdown or backlash of articles trying to recover with "it's not a letdown, it's still a great phone" true, but no one is saying "best smartphone" anymore.

Hell, even the Engadget after event press video explains everything regarding this phone, they even had to remind themselves this isn't a "put down" video, which it very well should have been.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not hyped? Are you kidding me? This phone was hyped so much even WSJ looked bad at the end of it all. Speculation on this & that, all it ended up being was a revised version. As soon as you heard the words "iPhone 4S" everyone's reaction was :huh: as if in utter shock or confusion. Now maybe on these forums the iPhone wasn't hyped as much as the Bionic, but I know elsewhere nothing came close to the iPhone which explains the letdown or backlash of articles trying to recover with "it's not a letdown, it's still a great phone" true, but no one is saying "best smartphone" anymore.

Hell, even the Engadget after event press video explains everything regarding this phone, they even had to remind themselves this isn't a "put down" video, which it very well should have been.

true, I will give you that, in this forum the hype for the Bionic was intense. Yes I certainly don't think it's a game changing phone but it's definitely not a POS like some people try to make it out to be.

marcp24

Reaction score
Well I was going to get the bionic on release day but decided "well I wanna check out what apple has to offer" then started reading rumors about bigger screen and slimmer and got excited...waited this whole time for a dissapointment...it sounds like a nice phone but to me not worth the wait. :-( im looking into the prime and am pretty sure thats what ill get.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

To be fair, the "hype" was absolute speculation by people on forums, nothing more nothing less. Apple users wanted a 4" LTE iPhone5 and it turned out they almost expected it even when all evidence pointed otherwise. stuff like that happens all the time, just like it did with the Bionic. People were hyping that thing up like it was the savior of all phones, and then a week after it was released we hear about the Nexus Prime. How many Bionics do you think Motorola sold? I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near 500,000, and that's being generous.

Hype is caused by the users expecting way too much. If this was called iPhone5, Apple users probably wouldn't have been as disappointed haha

Drumwolf

Reaction score
To be fair, the "hype" was absolute speculation by people on forums, nothing more nothing less. Apple users wanted a 4" LTE iPhone5 and it turned out they almost expected it even when all evidence pointed otherwise. stuff like that happens all the time, just like it did with the Bionic. People were hyping that thing up like it was the savior of all phones, and then a week after it was released we hear about the Nexus Prime. How many Bionics do you think Motorola sold? I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near 500,000, and that's being generous.

Hype is caused by the users expecting way too much. If this was called iPhone5, Apple users probably wouldn't have been as disappointed haha

I have to disagree that the hype came from just forums. Forums were not the only form of communication, though it did play a big part in spreading information. If the phone was called iPhone 5 I believe the disappointment would have been worst. No new design, only hardware updates, and a OS playing catch up. Lastly don't just put "hype" on the users or consumers, companies do it more openly and more often than you believe and not just in the wireless community.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the best part was when I was watching the blog feeds and at the end all the Apple writers said, "Wow, that's it?"

I literally lol'd.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree that the hype came from just forums. Forums were not the only form of communication, though it did play a big part in spreading information. If the phone was called iPhone 5 I believe the disappointment would have been worst. No new design, only hardware updates, and a OS playing catch up. Lastly don't just put "hype" on the users or consumers, companies do it more openly and more often than you believe and not just in the wireless community.

I'm talking about the unsubstantiated hype. Like 4G LTE iPhone with a 4" screen that bathes your children when you've had a long day. That crap definitely started on forums and forums only. Of course companies hype up their products with little releases and leaks here and there but you're trying to tell me that Apple started the rumors about bigger displays and 4G capabilities? No way. That was all started in the minds of Apple users who wanted these things and then were inevitably disappointed when it wasn't delivered. The same Apple users are disappointed that the iPhone was "delayed" 16 months, when Apple never made any ETA announcement ever.

Same deal with the Bionic. The machine to rule all machines. This is the droid you want. ZOMG best phone ever! Come September you have a paltry week long ad campaign and anemic sales and on to the next phone. Unfounded unsubstantiated hype is started by consumers only.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to drag this from the grave, but I would say most companies are guilty of "tacit hype" by doing nothing to correct the assumptions of consumers. The companies know that people are going to buy into the rumors they are seeing because of how often information gets leaked and they allow it to go on because hype is a free marketing monster. Unfortunately for Apple the beliefs their users had about what might be coming far exceeded what was and so they had to deal with the backlash. The iPhone 4s fallout may not quite be on par with the Microsoft Windows Millennium debacle, but it was certainly a letdown.

The sales of the 4S are telling quite the opposite of it being a letdown. Which sales is all that matters to these companies. So while everyone is saying it's a letdown Apple is counting the money as it flows in.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It could sell a billion units, it's still a letdown in terms of what people were expecting. If the Nissan Leaf had been expected to get 500 miles on a charge and fly and only ended up getting 250 to a charge and been ground-bound it still would have sold tons of vehicles, but would have fallen well short of the hype.

Every product in history is a letdown then by your standards haha. What was the last phone that "lived up to the hype"?