Git Media's New Honeycomb Tablets: the Surge and the Pro; Both with 250GB HDs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Git-Surge-Pro.jpg

Git Media has just officially announced their two new Android Honeycomb tablets, and they look to put some serious heat on the competition. There are some innovative things that Git Media is doing to offer value and choice for consumers.

First, the manufacturer will be selling two tablets that are identical except that they each utilize a different processor. One uses the NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core chip, and the other uses the Samsung Exynos dual-core chip. Also, for reference, and so you can see how robust these tabs are, here are the remaining specs for both devices:
  • 10.1-inch displays
  • Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) OS
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 250GB internal storage
  • 5-megapixel rear-facing camera
  • 2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • USB and Mini USB ports, Micro SD
  • Wi-FI, GPS, Bluetooth, 3G (optional)
Right off the bat, you may notice that both devices come with a whopping 250GB Hard Drive, instead of the paltry 16GB and 32GB variety in most current Android tablets. Of course, it's important to note that this HD is probably not an SSD like the current crop, which could add to the weight and size of the tablet itself. Still, for those users that are data hoarders, this could be the tablet of choice.

The second thing that Git Media is doing to have a competitive edge in the crowded tablet market, is an aggressive pricing strategy, and a limited time pre-order special sale. Both the The Git Surge and Git Pro will sell for only $479.99 each. Also, Git Media will soon begin pre-selling these tablets on their website. Furthermore, if you pre-order online, you will get a complementary gift of your choice which is either a leather case and wireless Bluetooth keyboard, or a 3-year extended warranty. Both of these complimentary add-ons are valued at $100.

If they turn out to be of good quality, this seems like a pretty competitive offer on some powerful tablets. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via DroidMatters and GitCorp

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
250GB means it's probably not an SSD which means it's got moving parts. That could be problematic since the tablet is going to be moved a lot. It also means more power consumption to run the hard drive. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the reviews rolls in.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's pretty interesting news! My crystal ball is in the shop at the moment, but I can still make a prediction: I don't think Git is going to make it. :frown: At least not on the back of these two products. Here's the reasoning:

As a company, Git reminds me too much of Archos -- who is currently suffering a slow and very painful death. In particular, Archos has excited customers by providing media players and more recently Android tablets with hi-capacity drives. You'd think that would be a hit, but since the iPad there has been tremendous pressure toward thin-and-sexy, making traditional 2.5" drives a real problem. I'm really impressed that the Git tablet's are about .5" thick, and weigh more or less the same as the Thrive or Xoom, but I just don't think that particular form factor will survive. A related concern is cloud-style computing, which puts the data on a remote server. Again, having 250GB at your fingertips sounds pretty good, but I think many will opt to stream media instead.

Git also reminds me a lot of eLocity and their infamous a7. eLocity came on real strong last year, including a gorgeous device with a capacitive screen and HDMI output. But their early models/firmware had lots of problems, and customers were turned off by things like software-based multitouch. They lost market share super-fast because their initial products were clumsy and they couldn't fix things fast enough. Then came the Xoom...then the $400 Transformer...and it was to the bottom of the pile from there.

If the Surge and Pro work like they should, and more important, IF THERE IS SUPERB CUSTOMER SUPPORT, Git has a chance. But if their new babies are buggy and firmware updates are slow, I wouldn't suggest being an early-adopter.

-Matt