Getting irritated with the nexus.

landofthedroid

Reaction score
My post is long but I hope you guys can help...

Okay so I have had my nexus since launch day and I have to say I love the phone but the negatives are really starting to get annoying. My main complaints withe phone are the battery life, signal strength, and camera. I knew from the beginning that the camera wouldn't be the best and for the most part it hasn't been too bad. Its just that when I record a video, I can see white particles of dust floating around especially with the flash on. I've never had that on any of my phones and I've had the Eris, X, X2, incredible 2, and thunderbolt.

The battery life at least on my phone seems terrible at the end of my work day its around 60 to 70 percent and that's with minimal to medium usage and juice defender on to turn off data after a couple minutes. By the time I plug it in its been off the charger for about 9 to 11 hours on average which isn't too bad. When I really use it heavily I get around 2-4 hours which to me seems terrible. I understand the screen and radios suck up a lot of battery, but i that normal especially on the extended battery?

The radio also seems terrible on my phone. None of my others phone have had signal issues like this and I doubt its my location because my other phones always had good signal at my house. Whenever I want to watch a YouTube video it will load a little and all of a sudden pause to buffer. It happens on 3g and sometimes on 4g. I don't even bother watching a video in HD because of the buffering. Signal will drop to 3g constantly and even airplane mode mode doesn't help so I have to reboot.

I love stock ics, the amoled screen and the fact that hopefully we will get updates quickly. If I didn't have these issues I would have no problem keeping this phone for the duration of my contract like I hoped. Right now though I honestly feel like selling it and wait for a better phone but none of the current phones appeal to me except for the maxx becasuse of its signal and battery but even that feels like a downgrade. The 4s seems appealing but the screen is way to small iOS seems boring and it doesn't have 4g.

Do you guys think 4.04 will at least help? Are there any tips you guys can give me because I truly like this phone but I don't know if I can live with these flaws. I understand that most might not like the I iPhone but should I get that? I'm seriously considering sellingthis and waiting for the Iphone if it has 4g and a larger screen. This is not meant to troll or bash the nexus, I'm just hoping to get some advice and tips on what to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

catfisher

Reaction score
Are you rooted? ROM'd?

2-4 hours of battery is awful, I will agree. There must be something drawing you down. How is the service in your area? What is your screen on time? There are ways to help the battery but I need more info first.

Are you considering rooting? It appears, based on the forums, that most who root have eliminated most of their issues. I had much of the same complaints as you do, but now I am super happy with this device.

Sent from my NEXUS running AOKP, Axiom B27. Nexus out!!!

OP
L

landofthedroid

Reaction score
Here are some screenshots that I hope can help. I'm completely stock. I have considered rooting to get the new version but I'm unsure and have been hoping Verizon would push the update. The last time I rooted a phone was my Eris and I honestly don't even know how I managed to install cyanogen mod on that thing haha.

catfisher

Reaction score
4G=power sucker...I understand that one shouldn't have to turn it off but it really helps. Also, turn your screen timeout down to either 15 or 30 seconds. You can also turn the screen off manually, via the button, when you are done with whatever you are doing.

As for rooting...there are a ton of easy, step by step guides that will show you the way, and tons of folks to help. There are even one click options available now that make it near impossible to screw up.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
My constant LTE loss is driving me crazy. Ill most likely sell it and buy a 4S.... if only this could stay connected.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
The signal quality really seems to be on a phone by phone basis, and not a general Nexus/ICS problem. I get about -90dBm on my Nexus, which is pretty good, compared to others, who seem to get like -120dBm.

Anywho, if you're having doubts about the particular phone you have and are thinking of returning it, you might want to try a new/CLNA replacement first before you ditch it all together. Could just be your phone.

OP
L

landofthedroid

Reaction score
Thanks catfish. I think I will have to start getting comfortable with the idea of rooting, I mean that's part of the reason why one should get the nexus. If the issues persist I think I will have to swap it out and hopefully I don't get a replacement with even more problems. I just wish that we didn't have to compromise with each different phone. Its always something we have to give up and it seems to get worse with each phone that comes out.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd just wait for 4.04 and see if it improves your signal problem. If it doesn't then get a 4S or a Rezound.

Wish I had a better answer, but my signal's great and I'm stock so it's hard to tell you what's helped.

captdroid

Reaction score
My experience with stock 4.0.4 is not a stronger signal but better handling when switching or maintaining a signal. 4.0.4 is without a doubt an improvement over 4.0.2.

catfisher

Reaction score
I had some hardware issues with my first. Hard restarts, etc. I got it replaced under warranty and all is well.

Landofthedroid...I bought the Nexus to root, some didn't. As I said, whatever is best for you is best. I think you will be happy once you learn the system and can do whatever you want. Good luck.

OP
L

landofthedroid

Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated.

mattv111

Reaction score
My post is long but I hope you guys can help...

Okay so I have had my nexus since launch day and I have to say I love the phone but the negatives are really starting to get annoying. My main complaints withe phone are the battery life, signal strength, and camera. I knew from the beginning that the camera wouldn't be the best and for the most part it hasn't been too bad. Its just that when I record a video, I can see white particles of dust floating around especially with the flash on. I've never had that on any of my phones and I've had the Eris, X, X2, incredible 2, and thunderbolt.

The battery life at least on my phone seems terrible at the end of my work day its around 60 to 70 percent and that's with minimal to medium usage and juice defender on to turn off data after a couple minutes. By the time I plug it in its been off the charger for about 9 to 11 hours on average which isn't too bad. When I really use it heavily I get around 2-4 hours which to me seems terrible. I understand the screen and radios suck up a lot of battery, but i that normal especially on the extended battery?

The radio also seems terrible on my phone. None of my others phone have had signal issues like this and I doubt its my location because my other phones always had good signal at my house. Whenever I want to watch a YouTube video it will load a little and all of a sudden pause to buffer. It happens on 3g and sometimes on 4g. I don't even bother watching a video in HD because of the buffering. Signal will drop to 3g constantly and even airplane mode mode doesn't help so I have to reboot.

I love stock ics, the amoled screen and the fact that hopefully we will get updates quickly. If I didn't have these issues I would have no problem keeping this phone for the duration of my contract like I hoped. Right now though I honestly feel like selling it and wait for a better phone but none of the current phones appeal to me except for the maxx becasuse of its signal and battery but even that feels like a downgrade. The 4s seems appealing but the screen is way to small iOS seems boring and it doesn't have 4g.

Do you guys think 4.04 will at least help? Are there any tips you guys can give me because I truly like this phone but I don't know if I can live with these flaws. I understand that most might not like the I iPhone but should I get that? I'm seriously considering sellingthis and waiting for the Iphone if it has 4g and a larger screen. This is not meant to troll or bash the nexus, I'm just hoping to get some advice and tips on what to do.

4.0.4 helps with bat and signal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GoBears

Reaction score
Screen on time of 1h 34m and at 57% battery is pretty good actually. You're really not going to get much more than that. If that's intolerable then this just may not be the phone for you.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah these SAMOLED screens, even on the Razr where it's not as high a resolution, are probably a close 2nd in "battery suckability" to LTE.