Getting alerts for advertisements, no idea what app is sending them

bmcswee

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few days ago my (liberated) Droid R2D2 starting getting alerts once or twice a day where the phone would vibrate twice (even if it's not on vibrate) very quickly and I'd have an alert that says something like "Meet local singles!" or something equally stupid.

I can't figure out what app is sending these. I figure it must be some free app's way of advertising but it's exceptionally annoying and I plan to uninstall whatever app is responsible. The problem is, I can't figure out what app is responsible for sending the alerts. Is there a way to figure this out? The "junk alerts" are very annoying.

Also- the alerts have a red star icon next to them. That's the only clue I have.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Check reviews of your recently installed or updated apps.

Sent from my DROIDX

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Getting ads from an app? Doesn't sound very liberated to me. Good luck solving that one.

dro855

Reaction score
Get Droid Wall and block any app that has Internet access, but does not need it. This will block ads and reduce network usage when not needed. Here are some that I block.

- Angry Birds
- Adobe AIR
- Astro
- Winamp (Always in the logs for blocked packets)
- Titanium Backup
- Music 3. 0(Always in the logs for blocked packets)
- QuickOffice (Always in the logs for blocked packets)

OP
B

bmcswee

Reaction score
Check reviews of your recently installed or updated apps.
I basically just got the phone and downloaded a lot of apps recently. This doesn't really narrow it down for me.

Get Droid Wall and block any app that has Internet access, but does not need it.
That suggestion sounds good, not just for solving my problem, but in general. However it's kinda severe..

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion. if you have titanium backup then freeze half your apps and keep narrowing down from their. If you dont have titanium backup then check your battery usage and see whoch apps use lots of battery. Id imagine an application that makes the phones rumble uses a a little battery, also check your current running apps when it goes off becuase at least then youll know which apps it is narrowed down to.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it's an "alert" (as opposed to a text, which sometimes can come just if your cell # has been compromised), then most apps have a way to disable such alerts (just thinking of news apps that can send you an alert when they've updated with breaking news).

Damon

Reaction score
The time you get alerts each day is the same?Or when you browse some websites you will get it? Get Droid Wall will be helpful. Or you can have a Dolphin License to have the ads locked.

OP
B

bmcswee

Reaction score
The time you get alerts each day is the same?Or when you browse some websites you will get it? Get Droid Wall will be helpful. Or you can have a Dolphin License to have the ads locked.

I'm not sure if it happens at the same time every day. I'll be sure to make note of that.

It's not when I'm browsing a website. It comes when the phone is in my pocket, screen off, not being used. It's definitely an alert (as opposed to a text). It has a red star icon in the notification pulldown tray. Next time I get one I'll post details/contents.

Natey2

Reaction score
Getting ads from an app? Doesn't sound very liberated to me. Good luck solving that one.

Lol! I've always wondered why they pick names like Freedom and Liberty for software. Verizon could call theirs Oppression, and I'd still be using it happily :)
After all, what's in a name right?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Kidplunge

Reaction score
Haveing the same issue on a tbolt running the following apps. 3D BRAIN x
AK NOTEPAD
ANIPET KOI LIVE
BARCODE SCANNER
CHECKERS FREE
CITY ID
COMIC STRIP READER
DILBERT
EPIC TRUCK LITE
HUMAN JAPANESE LITE
LATIN PHRASES
MY DAYS
MY CLOSET
PINBALL DELUXE
POYNT
SCIENCE FACTS
SCORE MOBILE
STAR SOLITAIRE
SUBSTRATE
TIC TAC TOE FREE
VAN GOGH WALLPAPERS
WHERE
WINNIE THE POOH WALLPAPERS

maybe on of these apps is the same as yours and we can find out which one is causing the pop-up notifications.

Kidplunge

Reaction score
check to see if you have quick office it is known to spam notifications! let us know what yiou find out. we are having the same problem

OP
B

bmcswee

Reaction score
I do have quick office, hmm...

The only other apps I have in common with Kidplunge are Skype and Barcode Scanner. And something tells me it isn't one of those. I think I'm just gonna uninstall everything I don't really use and see if the problem goes away.

zoe

Reaction score
go into the market, pull up your list of installed apps and check the reviews from other ppl, if other s are getting the same things it's very likely someone may have mentioned it. might help to at least narrow down your list of suspects

[insert_here]

rokndj

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem also. It just started about a week ago. I have so many programs loaded I have no clue where to start. I dont even know what I recently loaded.