GEOHOT Roots The Galaxy S5 On Verizon and AT&T !

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So admittedly he is not the first to root the Galaxy S5. He is however the first to post proof that his personal Galaxy S5 has been rooted. The name Geohot may be pretty familiar to you. Geohot is most famous for jailbreaking the PS3. This made national headlines when Sony fought back by suing Geohot. Sony was concerned that the jailbreak would lead to piracy even though Geohot was only restoring a native function that Sony had taken away from the PS3 in an update, the ability to run a homebrew OS like Linux. It was actually not possible to pirate games with the Geohot jailbreak. Before the PS3 Jailbreak Geohot was also a well known IOS jailbreaker.

Today he posted an Image of a Galaxy S5 with Root! He also said that he would not be releasing the method "No release ever!". He didn't say why. In his post he gave credit to Pinkie Pie for the vulnerability, Ricky for the methodology, and Chainfire for the persists. He encourages everyone to "Go ahead and try", but says that this took him 4 days to achieve root. In its current state it wouldn't even be releasable to the masses. After speaking with one very well known vulnerability expert earlier today it is clear that while there are a hand full of developers that have rooted their personal Galaxy S5, there is currently no plan to release this Root to the masses.

The vuln expert that I spoke with who will rename nameless said,
geohot's exploit (while impressive) isnt honestly stable enough to release, it has low chance of working, and is kernel specific
At any rate it seems that this will all point those in the know in the right direction and we may very well have a way to root our Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S5's in the coming weeks!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I always knew they would find a way. So who got the bounty?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I hope this is the only time Geohot is mentioned. I was an iOS user when he was 'in his prime' and the guy is a massive primadonna. Honestly, seeing him doing something on a GS5 really drives home the point that Samsung has become the Apple of Android.