GDE is simply amazing...take a look.

foolie

Reaction score
I downloaded it already, and it does work on the Droid with several minor quirks: scrolling through the applications list is a laggy, no landscape orientation support, few wallpaper glitches.
I'll follow up with my impressions later within the week but the bottom line is that it's pretty damn slick!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have it installed now and I really like it. The only issues I see are when the phone is horizontal. The wallpaper doesn't like up with the cubes right and the "Application Dock" widget looks a little odd. Other than that I'm really liking it.

Froid

Reaction score
Good one! Will install once it is fully functional on the Droid

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
foolie and gardo you are both gentlemen and scholars : ) I didn't want to jump in that quick.

I for one would love to hear a review from both of you after you have some time on it.

I'm not crazy about having a laggy and buggy phone's though I left BB because of that. I still suffer from ptsd and am just getting over it : )

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I had a camera that was worth anything I'd record a quick video of how it looks on the Droid but I don't o_o

foolie

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yeah Foolie it doesn't look too bad in regards to lag. Looks pretty smooth actually.

pretty sweet how you flick it and it covered all those screens.

I'm thinking once you start emailing, texting, surfing etc etc it may slow the device down...

foolie

Reaction score
Haha, I'll let you know when I start doing intensive stuff on it. I've done multiple window browsing, Email, SMS, Meebo, FB, Pandora, and Tunewiki and so far its still running fine as if I didn't do any of that. The only crash I noticed is when I change the wallpaper to something else, which doesn't bother me in the least.

The rotating cube is a cool feature, but I love the normal transitions best. Gives me that motion parallax feel when I'm scrolling through the home screens.

The whole theme runs VERY smooth. It's only when I'm scrolling through the applications list is when it lags. But if you don't notice it, it most likely won't bother you.

The developer of GDE has a thread over @ XDA and has been very responsive on the issues spotted. He just released an update today to fix wallpaper glitches :D such as wallpaper scrunching when pulling up the settings tab...though I'm pretty sure I'll get a crash when changing my wallpaper.

Last edited:

ratchetjaw

Reaction score
I am using it also. Its very nice and will easily become my favorite. It is a little buggy and lags some on my Droid, when flipping threw screens and some times it spazzes out and flickers caught between two. All in all i am keeping it in hopes more compatibility is on the way:icon_ banana:

DaHarder

Reaction score
The rotating cube isn't too impressive. I could do this with my Windows Mobile device running SPB Mobile Shell: SPB Mobile Shell Pocket PC Software SPB Software

SPB Mobile Shell was infinitely better implemented (on my Imagio) than my experience with GDE on my DROID, both visually and functionally.

We'll see how things develop, because GDE does have loads of potential, but (for me) the second that SPB Mobile Shell finds its way to the Android/DROID platform - We'll Have A Winner!

Happy DROIDing​

pilot25

Reaction score
Impressive app..the comments on that site are ridiculous. This is one reason I hate "ratings" of apps. You will get a crap load of idiots that have no clue about how long development takes to fix things like bugs that show up on one device, and other things. They make the most immature "I am a kid" comments that sadly many people read and take to heart and thus an app that has had hundreds of hours put into it with really good code but perhaps not perfect, is ruined due to ridiculous ratings. I think the Android store could one up the iPhone store by adding an age that is verified in some manner and then allow sorting the ratings based on age. I think you'll find many of the 25+ age ratings will be more professional and courteous and more inline with the actual app then the younger crowd that just want to reply because they spent a hard earned dollar on an app that has problems.

Whatever....Either the app works or it doesn't. If they want the public to be the beta testers then they should give it out for free then when the kinks are worked out charge for it.

I'm well over 25 and I don't think anything should be sold unless it's a finished product.

foolie

Reaction score
If you guys thinkin about it though, SPB is staffed company, GDE is by one guy. I'd have to say for a home replacement that just came out last month, it has been getting better exponentially update by update.