Galaxy S7 To Come In One US Variant!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of the top reasons for me to purchase the Nexus 6P was the fact that I could buy it directly from Huawei and use it on any carrier that I wanted. This also meant my carrier, Verizon, couldn't add any of their own bloatware to the device! According to the FCC filings the Galaxy S7 will ship to the US with only one variant.

The variant "FCC ID A3LSMG935US" may feature all US bands. Carriers will more than likely lock the bands that don't pertain to their network. My hopes are that Samsung will announce an unlocked version that you can buy directly from them. This is a strategy that Apple used with the iPhone 6s. It is not unlike Samsung to do the same thing that Apple has done.

If they do offer the unlocked version which can be purchased directly from them, it means that we should all be able to unlock the bootloader. The device will be utilizing the Snapdragon 820 which should be compatible with CyanogenMod. I know it is a stretch, but maybe we will be able to finally run roms on our Samsung devices on Verizon!!!!

via FCC

Reactions: cr6

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I like it alot. That's what I like about my N6.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I like the thought process here, but remain skeptical until it's actually released. Afterall, this is Verizon (& AT&T) we're talking about.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From all of the leaks, this looks like a really nice phone, one that even I might consider if I was in the market for a new phone (long time Moto fan for those that don't know). But, that camera bump is not attractive. I understand that manufacturers think that phones need to be super thin, because they think that's what we want. Is it so hard to add another 4MM to the phone so the camera doesn't stick out like a sore thumb? Does look like another winner from Sammy.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Not buying this at all. I can't see Sammy not offering an S7 Edge as well.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't either. All leaks point to two S7 models coming to the US. That's also a poor rendering....there's no way that's the actual the camera bump. All the other pics (and references regarding said camera bump) say that it's much more flush than that. The bump on my S5 isn't that pronounced.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't either. That's a poor rendering....there's no way that's the actual the camera bump. All the other pics (and references regarding said camera bump) say that it's much more flush than that. The bump on my S5 isn't that pronounced.
Well that's good then.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not buying this at all. I can't see Sammy not offering an S7 Edge as well.
There will absolutely be an s7 edge. Only one s7 variant. In other words there won't be 20 variants one for each carrier. The one s7 variant will support all carrier bands.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't either. All leaks point to two S7 models coming to the US. That's also a poor rendering....there's no way that's the actual the camera bump. All the other pics (and references regarding said camera bump) say that it's much more flush than that. The bump on my S5 isn't that pronounced.

The photo is a Galaxy s6

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I love the thought of being able to buy right from Samsung... That means faster updates and no bloat.... I wonder if this will become a trend for all carriers.... Really would take them all out the line of fire for when updates will come... Even though VZW may feel as though they would be losing by not pushing their bloatware on us, I bet in the long run they could see the huge value in it...

No more support for an update that broke a device, no more harassing threads on their site of people threatening to leave if they don't get an update in the next 15 minutes....... This would really spike my interest in the whole Android cult again... I have been eyeing an iPhone 6s pretty hard the last few days... I think I will hold off and see what Samsung offers up at the announcement.