Galaxy s5 - Screen fades on slowly when waking up

drpk40

Reaction score
Hey all,

When my other Androids wake up, they go from a black screen to fully lit immediately.
My s5 slowly fades from dark to light, taking 1-2 seconds to do so, and I want it go fully lit immediately. Did some searching, couldn't find a solution.

Galaxy s5 - ver. 6.0.1, using Apex Launcher.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Do you have it set for automatic brightness? Are you using any kind of case/cover?

OP
D

drpk40

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Automatic Brightness is off.
I do have a case on - should that matter?

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Try it without the case and see if it makes a difference. Try turning automatic brightness on for a few minutes, then shut it off again. Does it happen after a battery pull?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The case should not make a difference. It could be the screen is simply going out on you. How long have you had the device. We've had ours for well over 2 years, mine is still working great but the wife's screen slowly went out over the course of a couple months. It would flicker in the beginning and you could turn the screen off to resolve it, but it got to the point to where the screen flickered all the time regardless of what we did. She tried a couple factory resets but nothing helped and we finally replaced it with a new device.
Sorry I can't offer any real help. Just wanted to give you our experience. If a factory reset doesn't help and you don't have the insurance to have it replaced, you may have to upgrade to a new device.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

OP
D

drpk40

Reaction score
Hey cr6 - it actually looks quite natural, like its one of the core settings. So I thought I could turn it off. Doesn't feel like anything's broken. Device is brand new too.

People at store had no clue, so did a reset, and see if that works.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hey cr6 - it actually looks quite natural, like its one of the core settings. So I thought I could turn it off. Doesn't feel like anything's broken. Device is brand new too.

People at store had no clue, so did a reset, and see if that works.

That's interesting. I had no idea this device was still available to purchase from a carrier or "store". Where did you purchase it from exactly?
I'll go through my settings and see if I can figure out what it might be.
In the meantime, let us know how the factory reset goes.

S5 tap'n

jplemt

Reaction score
If it's dark around my phone, S7 active, the display fades on slowly to regular brightness. If it's bright it comes on instantly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
D

drpk40

Reaction score
Hey -

Factory reset with and without Apex did not help. Sometimes it goes on, other times you have the fading issue.

jplemt - I will try what you said about the light/dark
cr6 - Bought it brand new from a non-Verizon seller. And yeah, I checked the settings, as did people at the store, and no luck.