Galaxy S4 Rumor Pile-Up: Better-than Retina Display, New Pic & Coming in March

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s-iv-and-iii.jpg

We have another monster-mashup of rumors for the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S IV. We'll just make it easy and break them down bullet-point style!

1. The new SGS4 will have a 4.99-inch 440ppi Full HD Super AMOLED display - this new display panel will use hexagonal and diamond-shaped pixel layouts, instead of the typical squares. This will pack more pixels into the display. This new layout will eventually allow Samsung to stretch smaller screens beyond the 440ppi level as well. ~ TechCrunch
  2. Our next rumor suggests that the official launch timeframe of the new SGS4 will officially launch in March. This coincides with some previous rumors suggesting this possibility. ~ UnWiredView
  3. The final bit of intel we have to share this morning is supposedly the final pictured version of the new SGS4. As you can see above, it is compared to an SGS3, and is slightly larger. It also has an April 22 date on it, which you could infer discredits the previous rumor of a March release. Then again, perhaps the end of March is when we will see the product officially unveiled, and then its ship date might be April 22nd. Of course, it could also just be a fake, so who knows? ~ BGR
Regardless of which rumors turn out to be accurate, it sure is exciting to follow. For anyone looking to upgrade this year, It will be a tough choice between all of the amazing phones coming out. What devices are you most looking forward to?

Asgard

Reaction score
They shouldn't try to be apple; the "retina" display is just a buzzword and if I remember correctly, it's been proven that above 400ppi you can't see the difference at a reasonable distance.
Apple just use that to impress the people that are going to buy the iPhone because of stuff like that.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Im most looking forward to the sony Z, this phone also looks nice as well. My upgrade isnt till may-juneish....we shall see who gets my monies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think at Apple's 326 ppi and screen size you can't discern individual pixels beyond 18". I would guess most people hold their phone approx. 12" from their eyes.

Personally I think the resolution is overkill. I'm unlikely to ever view much video content on my phone - that's what laptops, tablets and tv's are for.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I thought the s3 was big enough. Seems as though the higher end phones are going to be getting to the 5in mark with each new generation, guess it's something the public will have to get used to.

Caesars

Reaction score
Samsung is on the prowl.

Return of the Android

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im most looking forward to the sony Z, this phone also looks nice as well. My upgrade isnt till may-juneish....we shall see who gets my monies.

Indeed. The Z/ZL is still king in my book for now. Sucks Samsung had to go on the defensive design-wise because of Apple as the S2 was the sexiest piece of hardware they had dropped. It seems like the S4 is somewhat of a progression back that way, but still not as clean and clever.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
5" is tolerable if they virtually eliminate the bezel. Otherwise it's like I still actually talk on my phone, and I don't want to hold a brick next to my ear.