Galaxy note Newby

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
i've been using a galaxy s4 since the day it was released on verizon . its worked flawlessly since the day l got it and was planning to keep it for a while but everybody else phones on our plan were starting to have issues so we decided it was time for everyone to upgrade our phones .
My original plan was to get An S6 edge or s6 edge plus but l am really hard on phones and the lack of durable Cases for these phones had me Worried about screen breakage .
so now here l am with a brand new note 5. I've never used a note series phone and had no time to research the N5 before I purchased it . Did I make a bad choice with the note 5 over the 6 edge plus or will l be happy with the features and functions of the N5 over my old s4 ?

So far I am liking the s pen but what does the button do ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The features are fairly similar, but the s pen adds some functionality. If you hold the pen so the tip is close to the screen, pushing the button will bring up the air command menu that should come up by default when you first remove the pen. I disabled it coming up when the pen is removed, so I have to use the button to activate it. I prefer it that way.

You should also be able to hold the button down and drag the tip of the pen over text and highlight. I think. Sorry. I haven't used the pen on my Note for near as much as I did when I first got it. I got myself used to wielding that beast with one hand and now it feels like a step back to pull the pen out and use both hands unless I'm trying to get a clip of a certain part of the screen or taking quick notes.

I came from the s4 as well to my Note 4 and haven't regretted it for a second. I often carry mine without a case at all, though it doesn't have the glass back like the 5 does.

OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
thanks for the info, I've been playing around with it quite a bit over the last 2 days and I'm really liking this phone . Now I Just need to find a decent Case for it and get used to how big it is compared to my previous phones .

I like being able to use the pen to jot down notes instead of typing ( although I have had a few palm pilot flashbacks )

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
just found out you can't use mobile data while in a call ? who thought that was a good idea ? Im glad I'm not Someone who relies on his Smart phone While working " out in the Feild " . That would have been a definite deal breaker there

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
just found out you can't use mobile data while in a call ? who thought that was a good idea ? Im glad I'm not Someone who relies on his Smart phone While working " out in the Feild " . That would have been a definite deal breaker there

Which carrier are you on? All of our phones have the ability.

Check out some cases made by UAG (Urban Armor Gear). They are super slim yet provide the same protection as the gigantic cases.

OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
Verizon, and thank you I'll check them out

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon, and thank you I'll check them out

Unless it has been completely disabled by Verizon on the Note 5 you can try two things. The first is to make sure that your phone isn't set to Global in the Network Mode in the Settings app. The second is to make sure that you have VoLTE provisioned on your account.

OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
oK, I did see that it was set on global so I changed that but I Couldn't find a setting for Volte

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
oK, I did see that it was set on global so I changed that but I Couldn't find a setting for Volte

It should be labeled as Advanced Calling/HD in your Settings.

You can go online or call them to make sure it is provisioned on your account.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My Volte settings are within my phone app. I launch the phone app, select the three dots in the top right corner, select Settings, select Call, toggle Volte on/off.

OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
Got it working, thanks for all the help

OP
Holyeffenwow

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
Is there any hope of getting data during a call on a Note 5 with Sprint?

I was not aware that it was not supported and have about 9 days in my return window.

Mike
[quote uid=228606 name="Holyeffenwow" post=2648964]oK, I did see that it was set on global so I changed that but I Couldn't find a setting for Volte<br /><br />Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br /><br />It should be labeled as Advanced Calling/HD in your Settings. <br /><br />You can go online or call them to make sure it is provisioned on your account.

I followed Ollie's advice above. My account was setup for advanced calling but it was turned off on my phone, I just turned it on and now I get data during calls. I'm on Verizon so you might want to check your contract before you turn it on.