Galaxy Note 5 Battery is anemic

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Samsung says they listened to their customers and then pack an anemic 3000 mAh battery in it. Can someone help me understand the reasoning behind this decision?

While the Note 3 and 4 aren't packing that much more power (200-220mAh more) you'd think they would have exceeded those numbers, or at the very least met them. What the heck I have to ask....

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think 3,000 mAh can be described as "anemic," by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, it is smaller than the previous generation, but that doesn't mean it will make that much difference in battery life, and the Galaxy Note 4 was famous for solid battery life. Also, 3,000 mAh is larger than most OEM's batteries.

Samsung usually does a good job of optimizing the device for good battery life, especially with the Note series.

Reactions: cr6

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
I can't possibly imagine how you can reduce your battery power in a next gen phone (or any tech item). I do understand that much of the Note 5 is better than the Note 4, but yeah, I agree with you, @cereal killer, that it seems like a dumb move.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't possibly imagine how you can reduce your battery power in a next gen phone (or any tech item). I do understand that much of the Note 5 is better than the Note 4, but yeah, I agree with you, @cereal killer, that it seems like a dumb move.
Sometimes, a battery reduction is the right choice to get it to fit a certain aesthetic, but ONLY if you have tweaked the software to be more efficient, AND the new chipset is also more energy efficient. It's entirely possible the Note 5 could have better battery life than the Note 4, even though it has a smaller battery.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They won't be happy until their devices are as thin as a piece of paper. Who cares how it feels in your hand? Thin is in dagnabit, so deal with it!
Uhhh.. Yeah, no!
Fargin Bastages
They want us all to be wall huggers again so iPhone fans can marvel at our devices while we're sitting next to them waiting for an outlet to open up. And since iPhones don't have quick charge capabilities yet (or do they on the i6?), you'll be waiting a looooong time. Let's just hope your flight out of DFW is delayed!
Doh!

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung says they listened to their customers and then pack an anemic 3000 mAh battery in it. Can someone help me understand the reasoning behind this decision?

While the Note 3 and 4 aren't packing that much more power (200-220mAh more) you'd think they would have exceeded those numbers, or at the very least met them. What the heck I have to ask....

I actually agree especially with all the junk Samsung likes to pile on their phones. Turbo charging is nice but that is only if you have time to get to a charger. There are people out there who would like their phones to get through a day and a half to two days easily.

I will say that what I love about the Note 2 at the time I bought it (when it first came out) it was the full package. Great battery life, forward thinking specs (first device to offer 2 gigs of ram), s-pen, it was a compete device for its time. Glitter is nice as long as I can use it as a work horse as well. But to continue to increase the screen resolution, screen size, and junk (...what they call features), while not improving on the battery size is bogus. Sad that the Note 2 at 3100 is a larger battery than that of the note 5.

Nice phone but I'll stick with my nexus 6.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think I figured it out. They packed it with a small battery so that everyone could take advantage of the quick charge feature throughout the day :) I mean what's the use of a feature if no one takes advantage of it.

Samsung: "Don't complain about horrible battery life when all it takes is a few minutes to charge it again!!!! Whiners! We implemented the feature for this very reason!"

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't get this either. I get all day usage out of my Note Edge, but I don't hang out on YouTube, social media sites, etc like most people do. People don't use their phones as phones much anymore and you would think they would take that into consideration.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't get this either. I get all day usage out of my Note Edge, but I don't hang out on YouTube, social media sites, etc like most people do. People don't use their phones as phones much anymore and you would think they would take that into consideration.
To quote ck, they want to be able to advertise quick charge.
Forbid the notion that we would be happy with a phone that has gone 2 - 3 days and we could charge it up in 20-30 mins to keep going. I mean we don't have people who would want that. Or they feel there are not enough people who do not go more than a day away from a charger to need battery life to go more than a day of moderate use.

Resolution is nice but I prefer battery life. At the end of the day I really do not care that my 5-6inch screen plays IMAX style display. Tablet maybe but phone no. Phone manufacturers are just building paper champs now.

Reactions: cr6

Moulton

Reaction score
Well my Note 5 just shipped. 64gig and will be here Tuesday

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm not digging it, but I have options. I'm near outlets frequently enough during the days that I have to do a lot of communicating on my phone. On the days that I am not I have an external battery pack that does the job.

I want a thicker phone though. Not just for the battery. I want to not have to worry about sitting on it. My Note 3 lived in my back pocket.

Moulton

Reaction score
It was a toss up between moto x 2015 and Note 5, then I found out Moto X has no wireless charging..the camera is once again shady and they took too long getting it on the market. Samsung pay is intriguing as well.

I'll certainly give my impression once I get it for anyone on the fence. I'll either give you a nice push or make you thank your lucky stars you didn't buy it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They won't be happy until their devices are as thin as a piece of paper. Who cares how it feels in your hand? Thin is in dagnabit, so deal with it!
Uhhh.. Yeah, no!
Fargin Bastages
They want us all to be wall huggers again so iPhone fans can marvel at our devices while we're sitting next to them waiting for an outlet to open up. And since iPhones don't have quick charge capabilities yet (or do they on the i6?), you'll be waiting a looooong time. Let's just hope your flight out of DFW is delayed!
Doh!

S5 tap'n
I went to the airport Saturday to see my daughter in and Applebees had plugs every few inches in a row across all the walls and dadburn if every table that had people at it with iPhones were plugged in because their flights were delayed due to the traffic control radar being down. When my daughter got in, first thing she did when she got to the van was........ plug in her dead battery iPhone. I always thought it was hype that commercials showed stuff like that until this past weekend.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4