Galaxy Nexus tethering app after rooting

dynastyss

Reaction score
Hey,

Got the new phone and am loving it. Currently I have unlocked and rooted the phone. I would love to get some wifi tethering going on. I tried the app "wifi tether 3.1 beta 7" and it does not seem to work. Failed setting ad-hoc mode, setting essid and setting channel. The rest worked. I am guessing the app is not ICS ready. Anyone have any alternatives?

Thanks.

OP
D

dynastyss

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I am getting the same errors for open garden as well strangely.

jason_jm

Reaction score
have you tried the wifi tethering 2 final?

not the 3.x beta?

the 3.x beta has never worked for me on any android, and the version 2 has worked flawlessly for me on all android

i dont have a nexus though

OP
D

dynastyss

Reaction score
Same errors. I wonder if it is an ICS thing.

have you tried the wifi tethering 2 final?

not the 3.x beta?

the 3.x beta has never worked for me on any android, and the version 2 has worked flawlessly for me on all android

i dont have a nexus though

jason_jm

Reaction score
well that sucks

you just answered my question whether i should wait or not... wait it is

my 2 most important apps

1) wifi tether free
2) touchdown exchange

just loaded the cm7 mod for thunderbolt. unbelievably good.

might have to also wait for cm9 for nexus

OP
D

dynastyss

Reaction score
So I did some more experimenting. Switching the profile to a Samsung Galaxy s 2 clears up all the errors but one -activating wifi interface - FAILED

Any suggestions?

oddllama

Reaction score
I just finished rooting and unlocking for the sole purpose of tethering. ran into the same problems as you. fml.

yurdle

Reaction score
Guy's just give it some time, hopefully we'll see a new release of the wifi tether app that supports the gnex. Its not the end of the world... has anyone tried usb tether?

mwahlquist

Reaction score
I got the same thing on the beta app... only the one failure. It is probably the hardware difference in the two, and likely a relatively easy fix.

prowler85

Reaction score
The PDANet app also works, so doesn't look much different/better than the wired tether app DoctorDreDroid lists. Question is will it work on a tablet? Have never gotten PDANet to hook up to my Acer A500, only wireless tether. And though that is a small use case, I would still like to have it as an option. If the wired tether works, fine, and I know there will be a wireless tether (probably soon). So for those interested PDANet is a decent option.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
The PDANet app also works, so doesn't look much different/better than the wired tether app DoctorDreDroid lists. Question is will it work on a tablet? Have never gotten PDANet to hook up to my Acer A500, only wireless tether. And though that is a small use case, I would still like to have it as an option. If the wired tether works, fine, and I know there will be a wireless tether (probably soon). So for those interested PDANet is a decent option.

You are quite right.... hardly noticeable difference for sure. I just like it better because it was cooked up at google.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums