Galaxy Nexus not playing smoothly when the screen is off? Try this:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am using an unrooted Galaxy Nexus, with the Stock ROM. I found that when I am playing high bitrate mp3's, and the display turns off, the music or podcast I am playing would start to pop and sound terrible.

I've searched high and low for a way to fix this problem, to no avail.

Recently playing with my GNex's sound settings, I found a solution!

1. Install Volume + Free (https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLkZSRUUuYW5kcm9pZC5sdmgiXQ..)
(or the paid version: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.TEST.android.lvh&hl=en)
2. Go to Settings > Sound > Music effects > Make sure that "Volume+" is selected.
3. Open your music player, and while playing your music or podcast go to the settings tab (those small dots in the upper right hand corner), and select "Sound Effects".
4. Go to Headset settings, and check "Virtual Room Effect"
5. Go to Virtual Room and select "+1" level.

These settings worked for me. The music or podcasts sound a little different, like they are in big room, but not too bad. The best thing is that the playback is now smoooooth.

There might be other settings you can try that may work, but I think the key is to create an environment where the CPU will not clock down when the screen is turned off, but stays active applying filter effects during playback.

Last edited:

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
I am using an unrooted Galaxy Nexus, with the Stock ROM. I found that when I am playing high bitrate mp3's, and the display turns off, the music or podcast I am playing would start to pop and sound terrible.

1. Install Volume + (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.TEST.android.lvh&hl=en)
2. Go to Settings > Sound > Music effects > Make sure that "Volume+" is selected.
3. Open your music player, and while playing your music or podcast go to the settings tab (those small dots in the upper right hand corner), and select "Sound Effects".

These settings worked for me. The music or podcasts sound a little different, like they are in big room, but not too bad. The best thing is that the playback is now smoooooth.

There might be other settings you can try that may work, but I think the key is to create an environment where the CPU will not clock down when the screen is turned off, but stays active applying filter effects during playback.

I greatly appreciate the info and effort, but this didn't fix the problem for me.

I've been putting up with it since the majority of my songs are a lower bitrate, but if the next update by Google doesn't fix the problem, the Dev community is going to bail me out again. I've been stewing over BB or AOKP.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the info and effort, but this didn't fix the problem for me.

I've been putting up with it since the majority of my songs are a lower bitrate, but if the next update by Google doesn't fix the problem, the Dev community is going to bail me out again. I've been stewing over BB or AOKP.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you, I wonder why. I was under the impression that the CPU underclocks when the screen is turned off, and thus the sound problem.

If you are using a non Stock Rom, and are rooted, you should be able to set your cpu governor to performance, or set your cpu speed to 1.2 Ghz or higher when the screen is off.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Alrighty everyone, just thought I would share a fix I encountered.

Poweramp

I haven't tried the free version, but when it went on sale for 1.99 recently, I decided to buy it to try it out, not thinking to check my high bitrate music and wouldn't you know it, if fixed crackle there are some issues changing the volume, but much more manageable than the cracking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks OG. I can verify that Poweramp does solve this problem (while using Poweramp, not just by having it installed). However, if you want to try a free solution, install the Volume + (free edition).

$1.99 for Poweramp was a good deal, but the regular price is $4.99. Still...I'm thinking Poweramp may be worth 4.99...it's that good.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I've been using PowerAMP for years and its a great player. I used it on my X2 and had all sorts of pops/skips but that phone was known to have music issues. I installed and started using PowerAMP the first day I got my Gnex and have very rarely heard pops or skips (even with the screen blanked out). Most of my MP3's are 192K bitrate too.

betan

Reaction score
Thank you!!!

1. Install Volume + Free (https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLkZSRUUuYW5kcm9pZC5sdmgiXQ..)
(or the paid version: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.TEST.android.lvh&hl=en)

You my friend, are a genius....I just noticed this happening on my phone and a quick google search led me here. I followed your instructions and it works 90% of the time. (some songs still crackle a bit) but I'm very happy considering it was simple and FREE! i registered an account just to say KOODOS!