Galaxy Nexus Hardware Issues...

kinfolk248

Reaction score
ok so here's the deal, im loving the gnex even tho i dont actually own one ( dont ask!! lol ) played with one at the vzw store loved it, liked how it felt in my hand, loved the cool chill of ice cream...butttttttt.....my question is with all the issues ppl say they are having with the gnex how many are actually hardware issues? i c a lot of things are software problems like data connections, apps compatibility, battery...all of which WILL get fix either via google or devs, so any actually hardware issues out there that need to be pointed out before i partake in scooping into the ice cream bucket too...?

hydro556

Reaction score
I would venture a guess that the number of those with significant issues is a few percent. Also, the fanboy mentality is terrible anymore. I assure you many many of the complaints are from those who own devices that wish they were competitors of the GNex and their feelings are hurt by the Nex and the fact that it is the darling child of Google and will get all issues addressed quickly and be the first to receive OTA's.

A lot of folks want to spread falsehoods about the GNex to create doubt and make sure that issues pop up in search engines. But, whatever. There are always legit issues with all new devices, especially when you consider that not only is it a cutting edge new device but that it also has a WHOLE NEW OS.

I have had a lot of devices, and have no brand loyalty, I only want a great device that I can live with for two yrs. The GNex has exceeded expectations. The screen is simply peerless in my view. The whole device is butter smooth, and feels so precisely designed and assembled, it just screams high end quality.

The best part? It is just released and Google and Samsung are right now feverishly working to see to it that it stays on the bleeding edge.

Aside from the screen, which simply astounds me, my other favorite aspect of the device is the camera. It is spectacular in my opinion. Blazing fast and spits out great pictures. Oh yeah, and the more time I spend with ICS the more polished and slick it feels.

OP
K

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1. nice to hear your take on the gnex, i think im so gonna get one as soon as things smooth over for me lol

2. ive heard a few tell of a loose volume rocker...

3. hows the headphone jack?

Reaction score
I' ve only had the signal issues which will hopefully get ironed out soon. No problems with my volume rocker (I hadn't heard of any issues with it). The headphone jack is good, still trying to get used to it being on the bottom. My only issue is the angle of the bezel allows the headphone plug to rub the plastic bez and i now have a small crescent shaped scratch around the headphone jack. I think I'm going to cover that area with a small piece of a spare screen protector to protect it from further scratches. Im just anal about my devices.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this point in time the major concern is with the reception. We are not sure if its hardware or software. If it is software then after a few updates the nexus will be fine.

What316

Reaction score
Other than a bad screen protector I bought (Verizon antiglare), no issues here. If you want me to get nit picky...The volume rocker is a little loose. Things like that bug me, but i honestly dont notice it, that's how much of a non issue it is. I haven't been having reception issues like a lot of people. I have 4g off because its only 3g where I live. I did have one or two times where 3g went out, but that was an outage problem. Not the device.

Overall, it's a hell of a phone. And its only going to get better when we get CM9, stable kernels and all that good stuff.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

wil318466

Reaction score
And, there ARE people who have had NO connection issues.

I would ask this question to people who live in the area you live in. I'm in Philadelphia and I've had beyond exceptional connectivity. The phone simply works, and works fast, everywhere I've been.

The phone is very close to perfect except for camera quality pictures, but that doesn't bother me in the least bit. If you're planning on rooting/rom'ing/modding, every single thing is fixable (I think) except the camera. There are new radios being released right now and people are reporting much better signals, but that remains to be seen, give it a few days.

I flashed a new radio and it seems different. I went down to the "true test" and went into a particular room where I've never once gotten reception, and it did. I'm steady getting 3 bars of 4g now too, but like I said, I wanna test it out a bit more since I've only checked it in my house. I'm travelling to NYC tomorrow so I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day and while driving up 95.

catfisher

Reaction score
I know it isn't related to the post but the VZW screen protector is terrible. Just saying...the world's worst fingerprint magnet for $13.99. I would shop elsewhere for screen protectors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

What316

Reaction score
I know it isn't related to the post but the VZW screen protector is terrible. Just saying...the world's worst fingerprint magnet for $13.99. I would shop elsewhere for screen protectors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Yes, they suck. Odd thing is there is no fingerprints with the anti glare one. I mean like none at all. But as I found out, that decreases the quality of the screen.

Also I forgot to mention that the sound on it is pretty awesome as well.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

pilot25

Reaction score
Prepare yourself to carry a extra battery or two. If you don't want to turn off all the antennae and use the phone like it was meant to be then carry and extra battery.

You will get 5-6 hours if you are lucky. Read some newspapers, stream audio, etc. and the battery is dead before you know it.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
There has never been a smart phone released where people didn't go nuts over every little tiny defect.

It's a great piece of hardware and software and I am sure most of it will be fixed quickly by Google.

OP
K

kinfolk248

Reaction score
good to hear more good than bad...!!!

yea i was worried about the volume rocker cus i can see myself putting it to use a lot

and i know some have reported the phone getting a lil toasty, tht kinda concerns me to cus i knw for a fact tht ill be oc'ing tht bad boy more than a lil bit!

lol and if apple can find a workaround for their reception problems for iphone4 then surely google can too and if they cant then free bumpers for everyone...classic...lol

GenieAngel

Reaction score
I have hardware issues. Got my phone and after two days it won't boot boot... the little flying color squares just keep flying and flying... it was difficult for them to activate it in the first place... which took over an hour... now I have to bring this back after all that to do it all again and it's Christmas and I don't have an hour or two to spare in the Verizon store!
:angry:

bemenaker

Reaction score
I have only one problem with my GNex, the volume rocker is on the opposite side from the OG. After two years of the OG, going to the GNex, I keep turning the screen off when I go to change the volume. :) hahahha

With the volume that electonics are produced in, and especially when you are dealing with the cutting edge of electronic circuits, as in the tech in cell phones, there are going to be defects in manufacturing. Of course, if you get one, your going to complain, and that is understandable. I used to work for an electronic manufacturer, and the tech involved in manufacturing the small circuits of cell phones, is absolutely the most technical and difficult there is in electronics.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Prepare yourself to carry a extra battery or two. If you don't want to turn off all the antennae and use the phone like it was meant to be then carry and extra battery.

You will get 5-6 hours if you are lucky. Read some newspapers, stream audio, etc. and the battery is dead before you know it.

hmmm...thats gotta be pretty consitent use.

I think a lot of people dont realize that under accounts/sync in settings...that the new software has google backup EVERYTHING on your phone to their server.

Books
music
apps and data
settings
google+
gmail
contacts
calendar
google photos
wallet (if you have it)

I turned a lot of those off. Along with notifications for some apps (facebook being a main one). I have a corp email account as well...refresh set to never (if I want to check work email...I open it).

Turn off beam, keep gps off if you arent using it, use wifi in area where you have a good connection to one. Use CDMA mode when there is no need for 4g.

With those settings I think I can get about 10 hours out of a normal day.

My normal day is

1. Wake up to alarm
2. check DF, rootzwiki, fb and any other notifications if I have mail
3. Put pandora on while on the way to work (~30 minutes drive)
4. dont use my phone during work much (occasionally check forums, on lunch browse some)
5. Workout at lunch (stream pandora for about a hour)
6. Check forums some between lunch and time to get off.
7. Listen to pandora on the way home (~30 minutes drive.)
8. Get home...connect wifi...plug into charger sometimes.

occasionally I get a call...I do some texting/gtalk chat, etc throughout the day periodically (really depends on how much my friends have to say lol)

I have setcpu installed with screen off profile set to 350 min / 350 max screen off. Interacive gov.

This use gets me about 10-13 hours depending on pandora use really.

People getting 5 hours on a charge are sitting there on their phones the entire time pretty much. OR...they have an issue with settings/software/battery.

Also, to my understanding battery life is a kernel issue at the moment. So...this should all be corrected eventually by google or devs.

Thats my 2 cents.