G1 user's Droid review

Jorakal

Reaction score
Still, it would be nice to be able to take movies already made for the PSP or iPhone and they scale to the Droid's native res. Because there are no drivers, it can not. N900 has same chipset and scales lower res movies to native res.

Call me stupid but I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about stretching a 4:3 video to 16:9? Or are you saying the resolution should scale up or down or something?

As for my DVDs and video podcasts, I can convert all of them to the correct format using Handbrake. If you encode them as an MP4 with h.264 encoding, and stay around 1200kbps they look and sound incredible. Just take those videos, convert them, and put them on your card. They'll work great.

Oh from an earlier post you say "Droid has minimal video drivers, based on lower res non-native widescreen movies have borders around them and is very picky on what MP4's will play (virtually no scaling). This means decoding movies to native res, which takes up a lot of space on the 16gb card" The reason you want them at a higher res is because they look better. This is not a low res screen like other Android phones. I'm converting mine to close to native res. and they look awesome. Even if it could upscale videos, why would I? I want the higher native res. Like having blueray vs an upscaled DVD.

As to the card.. I never take mine out of any of my phones. There are only a couple of tv shows/videos that I like to keep on my phone permanently. All my others are dynamic. So no reason to swap out cards. Also the 32gb micro sdhc cards are out, and the Droid can use them.

hazydave

Reaction score
It's possible they designed it this way so one could troubleshoot apps better. Just think if you could install 5000 apps and all of a sudden everything goes berzerk? Which one is causing the issue? I know you think that it must be the last one you installed right? Maybe the last one you installed plus the 3432nd installed app was causing the issue? How would you know? It just makes sense to limit amount of apps to install, me thinks....

Highly unlikely. Each App is confined to its own "sandbox"... a separate instance of the Java (Dalvik) byte-code interpreter, inside its own Linux process, which appear within Linux as a separate user... complete with only user-level rights. So it can't stomp on the OS, it can't stomp on other apps, and you know which one is causing problems because that's the one that crashed.

Limiting the number of apps is no way to know which one is causing problems. And it would tend to suggest that no one at Motorola or Google believes correctly apps can be written.

Personally, I think it's just money... they think a total of 512MB is enough. Palm was much the same way in the Treo days... foolishly thinking 256MB is enough for anyone. But at least you could run apps from the SD card.

I'm hopeful there will be a solution to this before I run out of internal flash...

ms.droid

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the all the info with the rooted G1... I've been thinking about rooting my droid.. well a guru i know perhaps.. I don't wanna mess it up! hahahaha

iPirate

Reaction score
No, I agree, it would be nice if it was outside the phone so that you could swap them out easily. I have had a Voyageur for over a year, and its microSD card snaps in (very distinct snap) and has a cover over the slot that also snaps in. Very secure and I never even considered that it was at risk.
why would you do this?