Frozen lock screen?

igknight

Reaction score
Interesting issue this am. I did the pre rooted GB update without issue Monday and have not had an issue till now (other than the battery issue). Every time I pull my phone off the charger I reboot the phone due to the battery issue and it does seem to correct the draining.

Today, my alarm went off, I hit dismiss, took my shower, and then I noticed my phone was frozen. No big deal, needed to reboot it anyway. Pulled it off the charger, pulled the battery out booted it. Saw it go to the lock screen before screen went off like normal. Well, went to use it and the screen wouldn't come back on. So I pulled the battery again. Then it would boot only to the Droid Eye. I would get the vibration thing during the boot, but never got any farther. Tried to wipe the cache when I got to work, rebooted, and it went to the lock screen again. Screen goes off, and one come back on. I plugged it into a charger and the screen came on.

Now, here is the odd thing. Nothing works, no buttons, can't unlock it, it tells me I have no service, and its Thursday, January 1 7:00pm. However, the top bar is working. Time is updating, I have coverage, wireless is connected, and my Titanium Media Sync started working. Not only did I see it on the top bar, my computer downloaded a few files from dropbox that my phone just updated! Any suggestions other than a wipe or SBF? Wipe is my next move, but I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

[UPDATE]
I can receive phone calls without issues.

OP
igknight

igknight

Reaction score
Bit the bullet and wiped it and restored everything with my Titanium backup. Some minor issues, nothing major, then audio stopped working. Rebooted the phone, now it gets to the part where it says "DROID" but can't finish it fully before it tries it again.

Love these 'like new' phones.

Reaction score
Wipe again. Don't use TiBu to restore. Manually load your apps from Market. If that don't fix it then it's time for a new phone.

OP
igknight

igknight

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I was actually in the middle of another restore from TiBu from another wipe when I got your message. I have been going very slowly with this one, not doing a full restore, just bits. I seem to be back up and running now.

OP
igknight

igknight

Reaction score
Now my ringtones won't work.
Time to call VZW and have them send me my 3rd "Like New" Droid X2.

OP
igknight

igknight

Reaction score
Just an update on this issue.

When talking to VZW, they informed me they have no record of the phone being reset. As it should have to reprogram itself after each one, and mine never did. They were good and actually believed that I did, but mentioned that if I ever have to do that again and my phone does not want to call VZW up to give them a call and let them know.

It happened again on Sat, so I did another factory reset on it, but something odd happened this time. My background stayed. It did NOT go back to the X background, but stayed with the one that I had when I did the factory reset, it also seems to have kept my WIFI settings.

3rd 'like new' phone is waiting for me at home, hopefully this one works better, and actually has the battery pull tab, unlike my first 'like new' replacement.

greycobalt

Reaction score
The "like new" stuff is total horse crap. On the Droid X, my first brand new one got bricked during the first OTA update somehow, so instead of replacing it they sent out a "like-new", and the touchscreen didn't work. Second one the speakers didn't work, third one the home button wouldn't depress, fourth one the touch screen was borked again, fifth one was slow as all hell and the volume-up button didn't work. They finally sent me a brand new DX2 for all that.

So the DX2 starts acting up with all the problems I'm sure you're hearing about, and I finally give in and call and they send me a "like new" DX2. I turn it on to activate it, it freezes during the boot logo. I have to battery pull, try again, it freezes when I touch the droid to start setup. Battery pull, it freezes when I try to dial activation. I threw it back in the box and put it in the mail.

Basically I think "like new" means they take floor models or phones other people have returned, wipe them clean, shine them up, and send them out. I highly highly HIGHLY doubt any tests or repairs are even attempted.

OP
igknight

igknight

Reaction score
Wow, thats bad. I've never heard of someone having that many issues with referbs before. I have had issues with my Moto Q back in the day, but that was a Windows tether issue, not phone related.

I'm kinda glad to hear you say that you had a 'like new' phone that was slow. The one that I got without the battery pull tab was worse than my OG Droid for slowness. VZW kept telling me it was a Droid X2 dual core, they couldn't understand that I was comparing the two in speeds.

I have noticed in the 4 Droid X2 phones I have had a difference in them. The first one I had was a recent build according to the sticker on it, the two 'like new' that I got were older, and weighed just a tad more. Noticeable too, and not just by me. The one they just sent me is a newer build and is also lighter, again, not by just me.

greycobalt

Reaction score
Weird that you mention that, I was talking to my friend about that to make sure I wasn't crazy. The "like new" (I always have to put that in quotes now :p) one they sent me was as heavy as my current one, but it didn't have a battery in it. My current one has the extended battery and the back on. I thought that was weird. I wonder what the difference actually is?

And yeah, most of VZW's customer service doesn't really know much. I found the second tier of technical support is always the most helpful and knowledgeable. I'm sure customer service thinks dual-core means amazing and infallible. :)

beemerchef

Reaction score
In less than 2 months I am now waiting for my third X2 because of the keyboard freezing!!! Never had so many problems as also I am always about 200 miles away from any civilization! I did not know about the "like new" phones... I have the feeling this third one will do the same thing. FROZEN KEY BOARD ISSUES have never been reported... never! Am I the only one? two phones in less than 2 months? Curious... Ara

Reaction score
Keyboards are SOFTWARE. Have you tried a different keyboard app? It's not like there isn't 100 free keyboards on the Android Market, most arguably much superior then the stock keyboard app.

beemerchef

Reaction score
Keyboards are SOFTWARE. Have you tried a different keyboard app? It's not like there isn't 100 free keyboards on the Android Market, most arguably much superior then the stock keyboard app.

No, I have not. I am pretty ignorant about it all tell you the truth. I do use this phone for everything excpet PC for my photos, so I do depend on it a lot. Can you send me a link on how to take away this keyboard and replace it with one that would work? I would appreciate it, Verizin seems to be so ignorant! Thank you.
Ara

beemerchef

Reaction score

OK, so I learned that! Installed A.I.Type and like it. I had no clue about all this... So if it is a software issue with the stock keyboard maybe this one will not freeze! Wonder why Verizon did not tell me about this... Thanks! Much appreciated... I should come to this Forum more often! Ara