Froyo??

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
okay on the day i got my Droid X, which was roughly 3 weeks ago.
i updated to the 2.2 version from 2.1, is the 2.2 version automaticly froyo...hahaha such a noobish question...

plz be gantle....

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You are correct! Google is naming them after desserts....Doughnut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream, etc.
I'm not familiar with anything earlier than Doughnut myself though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

harrellj

Reaction score
You've got awhile to wait before that happens, since Gingerbread (the next version) isn't released to anybody yet. However, since you are rooted and since it is now possible to have custom ROMs on your X, you can install a custom ROM and get features of the next version of the OS without losing root. Alternatively, you can unroot when the next update comes out, get the official update and then reroot if possible.

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
You've got awhile to wait before that happens, since Gingerbread (the next version) isn't released to anybody yet. However, since you are rooted and since it is now possible to have custom ROMs on your X, you can install a custom ROM and get features of the next version of the OS without losing root. Alternatively, you can unroot when the next update comes out, get the official update and then reroot if possible.

okay, this is what stage i'm at. i want custom ROM's and themes, so i want to know what Recovery manager do i need, to do everything that is needed to succesfully do the above. as far as i read up on, i need to be able to do a Nandroid backup just in case. which seems to be the main the thing.

i downloaded: Droid X bootstrapper, is this good enough? or should i have downloaded ROM Manager....this where is where i'm at now...

i haven't done anything to my DX since i Rooted it....

Firesong3k

Reaction score
You can get rom manager if u like, but I wouldn't recommend installing through it. Use rom manager to download the rom of your choice and install through clockwork recovery. To do this, you need to install bootstrap recovery. After you have that installed your all set. Download your rom of choice.. open bootstrap recovery and choose the first option. When it says success, choose reboot recovery. After it reboots you will be in clockwork recovery. You then want to make a nandroid backup of your existing setup from here. After that install the rom you downloaded but be SURE to follow the exactly instructions as each rom install can vary!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
You can get rom manager if u like, but I wouldn't recommend installing through it. Use rom manager to download the rom of your choice and install through clockwork recovery. To do this, you need to install bootstrap recovery. After you have that installed your all set. Download your rom of choice.. open bootstrap recovery and choose the first option. When it says success, choose reboot recovery. After it reboots you will be in clockwork recovery. You then want to make a nandroid backup of your existing setup from here. After that install the rom you downloaded but be SURE to follow the exactly instructions as each rom install can vary!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SWEET!!!!!!!
this is what i wanted to know, thank you.
Bootstrap Recovery is the same app as the Droid X Bootstrapper? this is noobish i know..lol, so thru Bootstrap Recovery i can do a Nandroid backup? so need to install Rom Manager?

the theme and roms that i really like, i found here. like the 928Droid's theme and the Apex Rom one,
so i don't really need to download through Rom manager right?
just copy the zip file into the SDcard? this part i kinda need to understand a little clear'er. do i copy the whole downloaded zip into the SDcard?

and again i thank you.....

Firesong3k

Reaction score
SWEET!!!!!!!
this is what i wanted to know, thank you.
Bootstrap Recovery is the same app as the Droid X Bootstrapper? this is noobish i know..lol, so thru Bootstrap Recovery i can do a Nandroid backup? so need to install Rom Manager?

the theme and roms that i really like, i found here. like the 928Droid's theme and the Apex Rom one,
so i don't really need to download through Rom manager right?
just copy the zip file into the SDcard? this part i kinda need to understand a little clear'er. do i copy the whole downloaded zip into the SDcard?

and again i thank you.....[/QUOTE]

Well Bootstrap is the program which allows you to boot your phone INTO recovery. You do nandroids through Clockwork Recovery not bootstrap. You dont have to install rom manager if you don't want to.. you can find any rom that they have on that program on the internet... just have to look. RM is convenient that it's kinda a one stop shop for roms.

You download the rom / theme you would like and place them on your sd card. open bootstrap program and press bootstrap recovery .. wait till it returns 'SUCCESS' and click on reboot recovery...

From there be sure to follow the directions to isntall the specific rom!! All roms install differently, so following the instructions for each one is a must!! Always make it a habit to do a nandroid backup before any changes so if something messes up you have a return point.

AS far as rom / themes go.. only certain themes will work for certain roms ... so be sure to look at the rom your downloading and see what themes are supported by it!

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
i want to Deodex my phone, so i'm going with the 928Droid Deodexeerr
when i'm in Clockwork Recovery do i:

Format System..
Format Data..and
Format Cache.
then mount system and then into Installing zip form Sdcard then install the 928 Deodexeerr? this is what i seen in a video, which the person was installin a ROM.
is the same process for installin Themes?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i want to Deodex my phone, so i'm going with the 928Droid Deodexeerr
when i'm in Clockwork Recovery do i:

Format System..
Format Data..and
Format Cache.
then mount system and then into Installing zip form Sdcard then install the 928 Deodexeerr? this is what i seen in a video, which the person was installin a ROM.
is the same process for installin Themes?

You shouldn't have to format your data or cache but ALWAYS make a backup first.

Firesong3k

Reaction score
+1 ALWAYS BACKUP!! Again .. all roms and themes come with instructions of some sort... 928 has a complete writeup on how to install his theme/deodexer

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
thanks guys...
i just install the the 928 DeOdexEERR, now the phone is deodex. from this piont can i install any ROM of my choosing? or should i install the 928Droid's BackToStock to take me back to Stock but keepin my phone deodex'd, then install the ROM?

i don't know if i'm answering my own questions...lol

and thank you again, and thank you for not tellin me to go search for it,

=]

Firesong3k

Reaction score
Okay so your deodexed and running his black glass theme... which means technically your still running stock 2.2 rooted, just deodexed and themed. If you want to install another THEME .. then yes, revery back to stock theme and apply new one. USUALLY with themes all you should do is have to wipe cache, not data, but always revert back to a stock theme before you apply another one! That's where backups come in handy.

Now if you want to install a ROM, yes you should always wipe data and cache, but not before making a nandroid backup of your current setup. Installing a rom will not change your deodexed state, you will remain deodexed with rom changes.

So basically if you wanna switch roms now, you have to backup, wipe data and cache and install the new rom...

OP
Droid_Boi86

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
I'm a really starting to understand this whole process...
I watched this video where this person was installing a Custom Rom, the app he used was the Droid X Bootstrapper, and there he Formatted the System, Formatted the Cache, and formatted the Data before he installed the new Rom..
...So this would be the process I'd use to install any new ROMs right? Im just tryna undetstand fully..
...THANK YOU!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App