Froyo Messaging.apk on Droid X?

_banana

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the stock Android messaging app on Droid X? Verizon replaced it with their own Text Messaging app that is quite a bit more limited than the stock one. Anyone know?

EDIT: I guess Eclair would be acceptable too

Reaction score
go to settings> language and keyboard and check android keyboard.

Also maybe try swype or swiftkey. swype is pre-installed and swiftkey is in the market.

OP
B

_banana

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Where in this topic do I mention the keyboard? I'm talking about the messaging app.

jaw4bama

Reaction score
Haha, sorry to funny! Well anyway have you tried downloading handcent app in the market and using it? Not sure if or how u can get the stock app unless someone has the apk file.

OP
B

_banana

Reaction score
Well that was kind of rude of me anyway, so my bad. But anyway, Droid X doesn't have the stock Android keyboard anyway. The only options on the device are Multi-Touch and Swype.

OP
B

_banana

Reaction score
I don't like Handcent; I just want the stock Android messaging app. If I were to grab the .apk would it work on the Droid X?

jaw4bama

Reaction score
Not really sure since I don't own a x, but maybe some of the great devs will jump on here and I know they will be able to help

Reaction score
well, maybe it's cuz i grabbed one of pete's apk ports but i have the stock keyboard in my options.. still beside the point. The only thing I can think of is to get a dev to make a port of the standard app, like pull it from the droid or something. Pete has done it with some other droid apps so i'm sure it's possible. and to more properly answer your question (i re-read!) it seems that it would not, as is. some of the code would need to be tweaked, if I'm understanding correctly.

Webst3r

Reaction score
well, maybe it's cuz i grabbed one of pete's apk ports but i have the stock keyboard in my options.. still beside the point. The only thing I can think of is to get a dev to make a port of the standard app, like pull it from the droid or something. Pete has done it with some other droid apps so i'm sure it's possible. and to more properly answer your question (i re-read!) it seems that it would not, as is. some of the code would need to be tweaked, if I'm understanding correctly.

If you look in the ROMs section look for the virgin-OEM-stock2.1 file. Open that and you can pull the .apk. I believe it is called IME.apk. I have no idea if it will work, but hey. And I'd get it my self, but I'm busy. It won't take much to get it from where I said.

DigiK

Reaction score
You'd be fine just pulling the messaging APK from 2.1, since there aren't many differences.

furii

Reaction score
OP
B

_banana

Reaction score
Thanks. I got that working^. The only problem I have is that the messaging app is not loading contact photos from Facebook like it used to...

I think this may have to do with Verizon's custom Facebook app, you know the one they force you to use? If you install the official one from the market it will hang when trying to add an account via system settings unless you use Verizon's. And of course, Facebook contact photos show up in all the stock Verizon apps but not Mms.apk...

Now that we got it rooted is it possible we can get the official Facebook app to work fully?