Froyo 2.2 MUST STOP Reboots

slinky

Reaction score
Sorry guys... I need to vent. This is driving me absolutely crazy. With OS 2.0, I can't remember the phone rebooting itself, perhaps on a rare occasion. With 2.1 the darn phone will reboot itself in the middle of calls, when answering calls, won't answer the phone quickly enough because something is holding it up... I have no idea. If Google can't fix this part of the phone function, Froyo will be no more than icing on a spoiled cake.

Sorry I'm venting here but I can't take it. No matter what anyone says about corrupted apps, a phone OS should be protecting the entire operation of the phone. I never had these problems on the Blackberry and the iPhone. Even the Palm at its worst never rebooted like 2.1. I also wonder how much has to do with Verizon's voice or data only system as opposed to dual and the Droid trying to figure out what to do when it is in the middle of data.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
i don't recall ever having reboots with 2.1.
Well, then you must be special. :)

My phone reboots itself at least once every few days minimum. It usually happens every day. It has gotten to the point where I am not confident the phone will stay on and connected every time I answer the phone.

I've also heard people's phones will sometimes answer immediately. Mine has lags and I have to wait sometimes just for that stupid swipe to work.

My phone is also stock, not rooted.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
well if it happens that often i'd say you need to use your warranty and take it back to Verizon.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i don't recall ever having reboots with 2.1.
Well, then you must be special. :)

My phone reboots itself at least once every few days minimum. It usually happens every day. It has gotten to the point where I am not confident the phone will stay on and connected every time I answer the phone.

I've also heard people's phones will sometimes answer immediately. Mine has lags and I have to wait sometimes just for that stupid swipe to work.

My phone is also stock, not rooted.

Slinky...what you need to do is a factory data reset. Clean everything out. Droid doesn't do reboots unless something is wrong.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I trend to agree with hook on this.

Some people reported issues with 2.0 while most did not, same thing happened with 2.1.

Yes operating systems should protect base functions but when we start installing apps that change system functions, especially bad apps, bad things can happen.

I've had to reinstall Windows a few times based on that same principle.

Try the hard reset and see if it helps at all.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why does the title of your thread say froyo 2.2 must stop reboots but you say it's 2.1 giving your reboots and you're stock not rooted? i'm lost...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I trend to agree with hook on this.

Some people reported issues with 2.0 while most did not, same thing happened with 2.1.

Yes operating systems should protect base functions but when we start installing apps that change system functions, especially bad apps, bad things can happen.

I've had to reinstall Windows a few times based on that same principle.

Try the hard reset and see if it helps at all.

He doesn't even need the hard reset. He can do this right out of his privacy section in the settings. It will clear it up, no problem.

If it doesn't then it's time to take it back.

Oh one more thing: If you're using task killers or virus protection get rid of those.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Why does the title of your thread say froyo 2.2 must stop reboots but you say it's 2.1 giving your reboots and you're stock not rooted? i'm lost...

He is saying 2.2 needs to fix 2.1 problems or it won't be any better than 2.1.

It probably should have read: Froyo must stop 2.1 reboot problems.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Exactly. :)

I am totally dreading erasing everything on the phone. Reinstalling everything will take hours to do as it is a total, absolute PITA on the Droid. There is no such thing as restoring to an earlier state either. Regardless of whether I wipe everything, the bottom line is the OS should portion.

Fact: More than just a few people are reporting delays when the phone rings before it will actually answer. This has to be fixed. I'm happy that some of you don't have problems, even if it's 60% of you. Even a 25% failure rate is way too high.

I also hope 2.2 will provide some type of full backup system. I had this argument with other Palm-heads. Give me desktop sync any day if cloud computing only backs up a portion of the data on the phone (and requires Google to keep copies of all my data for a year plus.)

I love the Droid a lot. But if I can't get this kind of reliability, I'll be eying the new Blackberry with the touchscreen and keyboard. Yikes... can't believe that is happening!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I am totally dreading erasing everything on the phone. Reinstalling everything will take hours to do as it is a total, absolute PITA on the Droid. There is no such thing as restoring to an earlier state either. Regardless of whether I wipe everything, the bottom line is the OS should portion.

Fact: More than just a few people are reporting delays when the phone rings before it will actually answer. This has to be fixed. I'm happy that some of you don't have problems, even if it's 60% of you. Even a 25% failure rate is way too high.

I also hope 2.2 will provide some type of full backup system. I had this argument with other Palm-heads. Give me desktop sync any day if cloud computing only backs up a portion of the data on the phone (and requires Google to keep copies of all my data for a year plus.)

I love the Droid a lot. But if I can't get this kind of reliability, I'll be eying the new Blackberry with the touchscreen and keyboard. Yikes... can't believe that is happening!

If you use the factory data reset in the privacy section your apps should all be in your downloads when you sign back into your phone. It's not that big of a deal, I've done it before and it doesn't take hours. 30 minutes, if that long.

FWIW this is not an OS issue but rather an application issue. Bad apps cause bad things to happen on peoples Droids. I ran 2.1 problem free. 2.2 is working great too, and that is what the majority, not just 60% but the vast majority are experiencing.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
It's way more like 0.7% if you look at the overall sales... if it were 25% there would be tens of thousands of complaints instead of aa few hundred...

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well if you're seriously thinking of blackberry without even trying what hook or I suggested...i agree..get a blackberry. You'll never be happy with the droid.

jayb

Reaction score
I heard that the Jitter bug has no " boot " probs.............

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

There are app options that solve all of your file issues my friend ;) especially if your rooted...I'm guessing you dont want to be, or you dont know what that is. Either way though, there are apps that allow you to sync to your home computer, as well as apps that will back up your entire system (all though I'm not sure if any of those are available for non-rooted phones.

Good luck