For people who have owned both Droid 3 and the Droid X2....need help

mypalOtis

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to say this site is great and I have already gotten lots of useful info from cool people.

I currently have a Droid 3 and am within my 30days for an exchange and cannot decide if I wanna swap it for an X2 (i don't use the physical keyboard that much and can get the X2 for 30 dollars cheaper). My brother has the X2 and says it is the best phone he's ever had.

Pros about Droid 3 (my first smart phone): great phone, easy interface, smooth touch screen (most of the time), droid apps and marketplace.

But, these are some issues I am having and i'm worndering how the droid X2 would stack up:

Droid 3 vs Droid X2

Reception
Ease of use on menu & interface
Touch Screen Response
Available apps
Battery Life
Does the X2 get warm after extended use (my Droid 3 is warm, hot to the touch)?
Brightness/Graphics/Resolution
Volume (on speaker and other end)
More comfortable to hold (I find the Droid 3 a bit boxy and hard when held to my ear....although this could be because it's my first mobile phone that doesn't open-lol)

Also- i don't have a case yet (as I'm still deciding), but how does the keyboard slide out when the Droid 3 is in the case?

Bottom line- i do wanna say that I like my phone and if it is a superior phone and these are common issues then I will surely keep it, but just want to know if the x2 is better.

Any feedback would be great!

OP
M

mypalOtis

Reaction score
Okay- I now have a Droid X2 which I have a week to test out. If I don't like it, it's back to the Droid 3.

Here's what I miss about my Droid 3:
Keyboard....I didn't use it much but it really came in handy for navigating the web at times.
Touchscreen....even with X2 updated to Gingerbread, the D3 is still far more responsive IMO.
Less home screens...the five on the X2 is kinda overkill
And a few other small things....automatic smiley faces in texting, data usage widget already on the home screen.

Okay, here's what I like better about the X2:

Gorgeous display, bigger and brighter.
Better picture quality
Slighty better call quality
Slimmer and more contoured for talking (much more comfortable to hold).

I have till Oct 4th to decide. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

celtic11

Reaction score
Im confused about your home screen comment... you said five on the x2 is overkill but the d3 has five also. The only other thing I can add in is that the keyboard on the droid3 slides out the same regardless of a case so no worries there. Overall I would say after a couple of days you should be able to feel which one you like better and go with that one.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Snowrider

Reaction score
If you think five screens is overkill dload golauncher ex. This opens up your phone beyond what blur (stock) launcher does. You can add and delete as many screens to your liking and set whichever one as a home screen. Also you can add apps and such to the bottom scroll bar very nice feature. It will landscape your desktop too. As for the keyboard I had an original DROID and hated the slider never used it .

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Snowrider

Reaction score
The volume on x2 well..... doesn't stack up to the speaker volume of the DROID although I have recently found an app called volume+(sound boost) and it more than doubled. The market not 100% but should be identical.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
M

mypalOtis

Reaction score
Im confused about your home screen comment... you said five on the x2 is overkill but the d3 has five also. The only other thing I can add in is that the keyboard on the droid3 slides out the same regardless of a case so no worries there. Overall I would say after a couple of days you should be able to feel which one you like better and go with that one.

Sorry- the DX2 has 7 not 5 (I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal and I guess it's not really just uneseccary(sp). Really appreciate all the advice. I just keep going back and fourth. This has been such a difficult decision for me and I know I am making WAY WAY bigger a deal out of it than I have to. I just hate the finality of it all. Thank God I nabbed it at a place with super customer service who is letting me do this.

I like the X2 but the D3 just has a fluidity that is so smooth- and in the 30+ days I had it I had very little problems with it. The camera was just really bugging me (overall crappy pic quality, focus and shutter speed...the X2 is much better). Plus the call quality....finding the x2 is slightly better.

Anyway- thanx for all the advice. It's much appreciated. My family thinks I'm splitting hairs. This is my first smart phone so I just want it to be good.

celtic11

Reaction score
The d3 OTA update just started rolling out and is said to have fixed a lot of the camera issues. I didn't really notice any camera issues before the update so I can't really comment on it personally.