Football Fan's Cord Cutting Challenge

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
080715-rob-gronkowski-spike-100605398-primary.idge.jpg

This year is the first year I will be going into the football season without relying on the cord. It has been hard and as much as my fears have pushed me to go back, there have been people on this forum that encouraged me to stay the course.
So here we are Week 1 of the NFL and Week 2 of College Football and I will look to stay the course without the cord. I will use this thread to chronicle the ways that I have watched the games without the cord. So if you are a fan of football and are tired of paying 3 figures a month to big cable then follow this thread to see if living the life of a cord cutter is worth it for you.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This week:

Thursday Night's game was watched via USTVNOW.

Saturday's College Football was watched via Sling TV and at a sport bar.

Sunday's Games were watched at a Sport's Bar and USTVNOW.

My team: 49ers. I will watch the 49ers play tomorrow via Sling or USTVNOW. Will report tomorrow how that went.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm a Hockey fan and found an app on the unofficial Roku channel list a subscription service that will stream NHL games to the Roku. Not sure the quality or reliability but its there. Maybe theres one for the NFL.

Also, not sure its actually an approved service.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm a Hockey fan and found an app on the unofficial Roku channel list a subscription service that will stream NHL games to the Roku. Not sure the quality or reliability but its there. Maybe theres one for the NFL.

Also, not sure its actually an approved service.

(Interested).

I am currently watching USTVNOW on Roku 3 so definitely would like to hear about other (legit) services.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Slingbox ftw on my part. I get free cable but live offplant, so I use a fire TV to stream to the TV and got the app on my phone.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Slingbox ftw on my part. I get free cable but live offplant, so I use a fire TV to stream to the TV and got the app on my phone.
Slingbox you have to either subscribe to cable or know someone who subscribe in order to get the most channels am I correct?

mumblemouth1

Reaction score
Havent tried it personally , but have a friend who has a hacked firestick. said got on ebay. gets all sports. movie channels etc

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Slingbox you have to either subscribe to cable or know someone who subscribe in order to get the most channels am I correct?
Yes, it's basically hooking up a set top box from a cable company and streaming it to the cloud for personal use.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, it's basically hooking up a set top box from a cable company and streaming it to the cloud for personal use.

That is a good tool, especially for people on the road a lot. But my goal is to cut the cord period and not rely on the cable companies. I know people who will feed off of their parent's (or friend's) directv, charter, or comcast password or use a stream box hooked to their parent's or buddies house. Yes that drop the number of subscribers and can allow people to get access to content at a cheaper price by splitting the costs. Though that is an alternate method that still allows you to drop the cost of your bill (which is the main goal), I am taking the approach that there are people like me who may not have that option and are wanting to cut the cord altogether.

Thanks for the input though as that is another option for some of our members.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Subscribed to redzone through the NFL mobile app for $1.99 a month and cast my screen to the tv.

You are a Verizon Subscriber I'm guessing?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am, is that only through Verizon? I did the subscription through the play store...

I believe so. I know for 100% sure Verizon users can watch live games on their phones. I believe Redzone and NFL Network are Verizon exclusives as well. Either way that is a good option for those looking to cut the cord. Thanks for sharing.

I am in the Verizon app and am unable to subscribe so it may be a Verizon exclusive.