Follow-Up: Microsoft Taunts Google After Closing LG Patent Licensing Deal

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
MS-Tweet_1.png

Well, regardless of which way you go on our Microsoft patent licensing deal with LG poll, it's hard not to see this new development as anything less than Microsoft pouring salt in the wound. As the tweets pictured here explicitly demonstrate, Microsoft is now openly taunting Google in regards to their open Android licensing. In all fairness, there have been several memes from the Google camp decrying Microsoft's behavior as deplorable, so one could argue that this is just retaliation from the big MS, but the timing kinda seems like "sour grapes." The tweeting from Microsoft started with the one above, and then just piled on with the ones below.

MS-Tweet_2.png

MS-Tweet_3.png

MS-Tweet_4.png

MS-Tweet_5.png

As of yet, Google has not responded. What do you guys think?

Source: TechCrunch

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Seriously this is just wrong right here. Frankly I'm offended by the remark.

jerkwad

Reaction score
can someone elaborate on this...i hate to play the "fool" here but I'm not getting it (even after reading the linked MS & LG deal) :blink:

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
I think he's referring to the fact that M$ gets licensing fees from about 70% of all Android handsets sold.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
While it can be argued whether or not MS's tweets are in retaliation, or in response to earlier comments by Google, the fact that we're watching adults use Twitter to communicate snippy remarks just reeks of immaturity and teenage drama. And these are 'high up' corporate execs (or counsel) as well. I'm a fan of MS personally, but seeing this is just ridiculous. #higherground !! :blink:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
can someone elaborate on this...i hate to play the "fool" here but I'm not getting it (even after reading the linked MS & LG deal) :blink:

i think basically microsoft is trying to gain control over android and in turn, google...i read about how microsoft has/is trying to sue the phone companies that dont sign with them over stuff so stupid its outrageous...for example they tried/are trying to sue barnes and noble over the nook for "easily selectable text" and “Navigate through information”...link for those examples is here

jerkwad

Reaction score
I think he's referring to the fact that M$ gets licensing fees from about 70% of all Android handsets sold.

i get that, i guess i kind of already knew that much about the android OS and Microsoft licensing. THere was some great information about how MS actually makes more money off the patents that are in Android than they do on their OWN sales of Windows OS phones. I laughed and thought how pathetic is it that you make more money off all the work of other companies than you could ever hope to make from your OWN OS that has no "middle man" for licensing deals/patent agreements.

I could care less if MS makes 70% - Google still gets a cut and I am fine with both companies co-existing and pushing each other forward. Maybe this will spur Google to start removing some of the MS patents from the Android OS and develop their own (hopefully better) methods of doing things. It's STILL a hell of a lot better than the way Apple handles this kind of stuff, ala "we wont share, stop using our stuff or we will destroy you in court or die trying"

jerkwad

Reaction score
i think basically microsoft is trying to gain control over android and in turn, google...i read about how microsoft has/is trying to sue the phone companies that dont sign with them over stuff so stupid its outrageous...for example they tried/are trying to sue barnes and noble over the nook for "easily selectable text" and “Navigate through information”...link for those examples is here

but aren't those things already covered in the patent agreements between Google and MS? I guess I am assuming that there exists agreements between those two parties already for Google to even be USING them in the first place within the Android OS. I guess I don't understand how MS can sue the company that is using a licensed (between google/ms) copy of the Android OS - that's like paying double for your data plan to use tethe.......oooooh now i get it ;-)

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Arent most of those tweets directed toward Apple? That was my assumption. Since Apple rather just sue than come to licensing agreements with manufacturers.

Yes, these comments were uncalled for and no one should be using twitter to express a matter as such since you can only write 1 sentence and because of that it is usually misunderstood.

Whatever, I don't think the money is coming out of Google's wallet. I'm sure Google is just laughing at all this Nonsense.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm sure Google is just laughing at all this Nonsense.

No they are not :) The quote below is from Google last year.

This is the same tactic we’ve seen time and again from Microsoft. Failing to succeed in the smartphone market, they are resorting to legal measures to extort profit from others’ achievements and hinder the pace of innovation. We remain focused on building new technology and supporting Android partners.

notice the word extort(ion)....strong language there.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think we need another USA vs Microsoft or something similar and lets throw apple in there too...these patent wars are becoming beyond ridiculous, it's like little kids fighting over whose toy it is....

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
No they are not :) The quote below is from Google last year.

notice the word extort(ion)....strong language there.

yeah, but this kinda goes along with what I said. I mean obviously Google has to say something, but you know all the big executives are sitting around a table cracking jokes how pathetic Microsoft is in the smartphone business.

Their response couldn't be more perfect. They struck back, but insult in a classy way.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm wondering how or if they will respond. It really is shameful behavior if you think about it. Like somebody said it's very childish especially when they know Google is not too happy about the whole thing. It's like rubbing their nose in it.

I wasn't going to take sides but this is just out of line in my opinion. No class......

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
yeah, but this kinda goes along with what I said. I mean obviously Google has to say something, but you know all the big executives are sitting around a table cracking jokes how pathetic Microsoft is in the smartphone business.

Their response couldn't be more perfect. They struck back, but insult in a classy way.

Only if there is a USA vs Apple too.

If google doesn't want this to happen anymore, they should start patenting their stuff too in Android. Apple and M$ are using their ideas freely.