FM transmitter?

Topdog1992

Reaction score
is there an app for the droid that
resembles a Griffin iTrip or FM transmitter??

ekaggen

Reaction score
The iTrip and other FM transmitters\modulators have a circuit that allows them to transmit on FM frequencies. Since the droid doesn't have any such circuits its impossible for an application to replicate that functionality. Its a hardware limitation. You just need to buy an external FM transmitter to go with your droid or consider other alternatives.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea, apparently it has this functionality, but lacks a bit of hardware to actually enable it to work, which in no offence to Moto because this thing rocks... but come on. Would have made the phone so much easier to use in a car. Less cords th better...

I am curious to buy this: Cutting Edge FM Transmitter and Charger

Shusuke028

Reaction score
I've also been looking into that charger/fm transmitter... It looks like it's exactly what I was looking for. And by the reviews, it's decent.

has anyone here tried it?

vabeach1

Reaction score
I tried it and it was a miserable failure. Noisy, lots of static. Dropped it in the trash. (Used it in a Pontiac Grand Prix)

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
Monster makes great fm transmitter. I have one for my ipod and it is amazing no static and sounds great! I'm going to order one for my droid if I can ever remember to do it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
FM Transmitters traditionally provide mediocre to poor audio quality, especially if you live in an area that's heavily saturated with high power radio transmissions (cities, suburbs).

What are you trying to accomplish? There are a lot of better solutions, depending on what you're trying to do.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
There's a thread somewhere on here where an individual found a european motorola android phone had an FM transmitter, and they found a Moto Droid had a chip that would have FM receive/transmit capabilities, so there was work to port the app for Droid but I haven't heard of any progress in a while.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a thread somewhere on here where an individual found a european motorola android phone had an FM transmitter, and they found a Moto Droid had a chip that would have FM receive/transmit capabilities, so there was work to port the app for Droid but I haven't heard of any progress in a while.

The processor specs show it's technically possible, and like you, I had heard of people working to make it work. I also, like you, havent heard anything about it in about 2 months.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used to use the FM Transmitter adapter for my ZUNE mp3 player just for my car. Personally it was awesome. The sound wasn't amazing but it was far above what my ears needed, and having a bunch of wires is great.

I don't care about the bad sound and quality, I wish the droid had a Transmitter just so I could get my in my car.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been through three transmitters in my life, and they've never met my needs (I dont like static).

Depending on your car, GROM Audio makes a great add-on for stock stereos, which provides wired connectivity for iPods, USB drives, and standard stereo input to your stock stereo. I recently put one in my 07 Tacoma, and it works like a dream.

krott5333

Reaction score
Upgrade your stereo. I know, its so easy and looks pretty to keep the stock stereo, but with the features available in todays aftermarket receivers, its definitely worth the upgrade.