FM Radio

gibson99

Reaction score
my d4 doesn't seem to work for FM radio. yes, i have headphones plugged in. i tried the bionic fm radio apk when i was still in GB and it just FC'd. haven't tried it now that i have the OTA ICS. that same apk worked fine on my wife's bionic so i know it wasn't a bad download. i didn't think i'd need to do anything besides plug in headphones, but maybe i missed a step somewhere?

was about to try FM Radio by sutton shin from the market, but it specifically says "only motorola except droid/milestone 1,2,4" (which i take to mean that it will work on d3).

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
my d4 doesn't seem to work for FM radio. yes, i have headphones plugged in. i tried the bionic fm radio apk when i was still in GB and it just FC'd. haven't tried it now that i have the OTA ICS. that same apk worked fine on my wife's bionic so i know it wasn't a bad download. i didn't think i'd need to do anything besides plug in headphones, but maybe i missed a step somewhere?

was about to try FM Radio by sutton shin from the market, but it specifically says "only motorola except droid/milestone 1,2,4" (which i take to mean that it will work on d3).
use spirit UL and fm will work

Tbrengel

Reaction score
The manual says there is an FM radio app that requires the a headset to be plugged in to act as an antenna. That implies that the Note II includes a radio chip. I just got a Note II. No FM radio app.

My question is, does the GN2 have an FM chip or not?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That all depends on which Galaxy Note 2 you have.

If you have the international version of the Galaxy Note 2, it has a functioning FM radio. If you have a carrier-branded version of the Note 2 from a carrier in the U.S. (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile), it does not have a functioning FM radio. The hardware might be there in the domestic versions of the phone, but it's not functional.

As for the manual stating that it does have one, you must be looking at a manual for the international version. The manual for the Verizon version, which can be found here, makes no mention of a FM radio.

Tbrengel

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That's disappointing news. That means that listening to an FM broadcast will require data--probably not much, but data nonetheless. I have also found that the chief alternative does not carry my favorite stations. The GN2 is an awesome tool, but that is a bit disappointing.

That all depends on which Galaxy Note 2 you have.

If you have the international version of the Galaxy Note 2, it has a functioning FM radio. If you have a carrier-branded version of the Note 2 from a carrier in the U.S. (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile), it does not have a functioning FM radio. The hardware might be there in the domestic versions of the phone, but it's not functional.

As for the manual stating that it does have one, you must be looking at a manual for the international version. The manual for the Verizon version, which can be found here, makes no mention of a FM radio.

William Sexton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Bionic
Have a Droid Bionic phone that I understand has a FM tuner but needs an app to get it to work. I tried looking up info on the internet and saw posts on downloading a FMRadio.apk File. Does anyone know if this or any website will work. I can not get it to work on my phone. Thanks for any help I can get

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a Bionic for a year and don't remember it having a built in FM Radio.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Apparently I was wrong, the Bionic did have a built in FM Tuner chip. However, according to this thread on the Moto Forum the functionality was removed with the Jelly Bean update. If the phone you have is on the Jelly Bean OS you probably will not have any luck with any app. If, by chance, it is still on ICS, the FM Tuner might still work.

William Sexton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Bionic
Apparently I was wrong, the Bionic did have a built in FM Tuner chip. However, according to this thread on the Moto Forum the functionality was removed with the Jelly Bean update. If the phone you have is on the Jelly Bean OS you probably will not have any luck with any app. If, by chance, it is still on ICS, the FM Tuner might still work.

William Sexton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Bionic
Thanks for you replies. I have the Jelly Bean O/S and now i know I don't have a FM tuner. You gave me info I probably would have never found.
Bill

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You are welcome. It took me a while to remember that thread...I had a Bionic during the ICS to JB upgrade and forgot all about the FM Tuner capability. Shame they took it away. If data usage is not an issue, there are some great Streaming Radio apps available.

biker128pedal

Reaction score
I really miss the radio. Out in the sticks data is can be hard to get. I also had to get a good music player when Moto player went all cloud. Still have my Bionic but will upgrade in the spring. I don't want anything bigger so there is nothing equal to a Bionic at this time. Samsung S4 mini is the closest.