FM Radio Capable?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is you can always stream radio over internet with tunein radio app.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, it's pretty funny that"you can get an app" was the first response (no offense meant to you, xeene) because the exact same thread popped up 3 or 4 times leading up to the bionic release and a large portion of response were always "Just use the such and such App" but almost every time the person asking would get frustrated because they either wanted to listen to a local station that wasn't on any app or they wanted to listen to music independent of their data connection.

That plus having an internal FM Transceiver would be amazing for rebroadcasting over my car radio for phone calls or Pandora/MP3s.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, it's pretty funny that"you can get an app" was the first response (no offense meant to you, xeene) because the exact same thread popped up 3 or 4 times leading up to the bionic release and a large portion of response were always "Just use the such and such App" but almost every time the person asking would get frustrated because they either wanted to listen to a local station that wasn't on any app or they wanted to listen to music independent of their data connection.

That plus having an internal FM Transceiver would be amazing for rebroadcasting over my car radio for phone calls or Pandora/MP3s.

Exactly! I was hoping for this so I can tune in a local station. So, anyone know?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

VitsDroid

Reaction score
I remember wanting fm on my og Droid. Then when I got a phone with it, I never use it.

Sent from my cm7 thunderbolt using Tapatalk

turdbogls

Reaction score

The Galaxy Nexus' System Apps Have Been Dumped

after looking at the list of system apps, looks like FM radio is not in there. just another thing pointing in the direction of NO.

on a semi related note, you are all talking about using FM to broudcast Pandora or whatever like an FM transmitter. is there an app or hack for this? curious because i am swapping cars with my wife soon and i am really going to miss my Aux input. but a transmitter would be sweet.

I remember wanting fm on my og Droid. Then when I got a phone with it, I never use it.

Sent from my cm7 thunderbolt using Tapatalk
same here. i wanted one badly....when i finally picked up my Droid X, i used the app to check it out one time, and never used it again. it was actually one of the apps i Froze when flashing a new ROM.

Last edited:
OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

The Galaxy Nexus' System Apps Have Been Dumped

after looking at the list of system apps, looks like FM radio is not in there. just another thing pointing in the direction of NO.

on a semi related note, you are all talking about using FM to broudcast Pandora or whatever like an FM transmitter. is there an app or hack for this? curious because i am swapping cars with my wife soon and i am really going to miss my Aux input. but a transmitter would be sweet.

same here. i wanted one badly....when i finally picked up my Droid X, i used the app to check it out one time, and never used it again. it was actually one of the apps i Froze when flashing a new ROM.

Negative. We're talking about an FM tuner to tune in local FM radio stations. I'm not sure if what you're talking about is possible?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember which device it was, but when it passed through the FCC it was listed as having an FM transceiver meaning it could not only listen be transmit over FM. You can buy crappy 12V transmitters that plug into your 3/8s headphone jack and broadcast in about a 5 foot radius (enough for your car radio) but the quality is never up to par plus you need to have a good .3 to .9 gap of unused radio frequency and in most areas I have tried to use it I'm luck to find a gap that is .2 wide with nothing being picked up. With all that being said, there is also the classic headphone jack/Cassette adapter that ususally works pretty well, but the car has to have a cassette player, which mine does not :-(

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I wish devices had FM transmitters! I don't think there are any, I hadn't heard anything about that till truss! ;) As to the fm receiver, I don't listen to fm radio here. We have only 1 fm channel broadcasted from our county that is still in English and or last classical channel is no more! No fm for me! ;) I didn't know my dx had one for abut 6 months and I read and was like wait... But I still haven't ever used it! ;)

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
With all that being said, there is also the classic headphone jack/Cassette adapter that ususally works pretty well, but the car has to have a cassette player, which mine does not :-(

Yeah....sorry Truss, cassettes are the new 8-track :)

You know cassettes are a relic when teenagers don't know what they are.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Exactly! I was hoping for this so I can tune in a local station. So, anyone know?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

But tune in radio does have your local radio stations.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!