Filter out junk e-mail...

blazehaze

Reaction score
My wife is getting a bunch of junk mail from her computer. She tried to block this crap but somehow the sender will change something and it continues to get thru. I read something about a program (app) that can be used, but it seems controversial. She ended up taking the e-mail account off her phone, which fixed the problem. We are very new to this technology, so please bear with us. Thanks...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What email does she use? Like Yahoo, GMAIL, or is from your internet provider?

Trash Can

Reaction score
It sounds like it may be easiest to dump that account permanently. Since she's using an Android phone, I would use gmail as her primary. Never give this address to anyone other than friends or family. Then set up another gmail account for website subscriptions, etc and forward all email to her primary. If she continues to get a lot of spam, set up some filters or simply dump this secondary account and set up another. It's all pretty easy to do.

The key is to never ever give out your primary email address to any person you don't know. And never give it to any business or website either, as they may sell it to a third party and then the spam begins. I do this and never get any spam to my primary email.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Go into her setting in Windows Live. Under the Preventing Junk Mail section click Filter and Reporting. There is an option called Exclusive. This will junk everything that is not in her contacts or safe sender list.

There are some more options in that Preventing Junk Mail section that you can work with as well. But what Trash can said wouldn't be a bad idea either.

OP
B

blazehaze

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. My wife orders goods on the internet and of course gets ads from the companies she deals with. Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Trash Can

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. My wife orders goods on the internet and of course gets ads from the companies she deals with. Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Most legitimate businesses have an option to opt out of marketing email. If those ads are what's annoying her, see if there's a way to opt out. Of course, that still won't stop spam from non-legitimate sources, so a change may still be in order.