Few Questins Before i Purchase the Droid

P8ntballer789

Reaction score
I had a few general questions and looking for some opinion as well.
I currently have an Env2 and txt A LOT on it. I've done hours of countless research on Droid, making sure its the perfect phone for me.

Is the droid a great and easy txting phone?
Can you lock messages?
Any way to change the txting from the "aim theme" back to normal messages?
Can you change the background of the txting from white to a different color?

Thanks for any info
-Brandon

thelion

Reaction score
I find it very easy to text on my Droid
I am sure there is a way to lock them. I don't know how as I have never tried but I bet there is.
Not sure what the heck AIM theme is so I'll leave that be
Probably can. Try different apps etc.

LordKastle

Reaction score
The app Handcent allows you to change background and text colors.

Caindris

Reaction score
The texting, if you're willing to invest the time and get google voice is awesome. I dropped my text plan completely because everything is free through google voice. Sadly it is still in beta and you have to sign up to get invited. If you text a lot though, the droid + GVoice is full of win

gdoane

Reaction score
I had a few general questions and looking for some opinion as well.
I currently have an Env2 and txt A LOT on it. I've done hours of countless research on Droid, making sure its the perfect phone for me.

Is the droid a great and easy txting phone?

No. It is a power user phone. Easy is down the street at Apple. Great is right here on Droid.

Can you lock messages?

You can do anything your PC can for messages. Gmail is a native app, it's a Google phone. Droid on Gmail is like being Greek God with a Verizon account.

Any way to change the txting from the "aim theme" back to normal messages?

That's kind of like ordering vanilla in a Baskin-Robbins but on the Droid there are several apps for such things. I'm using Handcent now.

Can you change the background of the txting from white to a different color?

Thanks for any info
-Brandon

It's an open source phone. You can program it yourself if you want to take the time to learn it. I know Handcent does blue on black. Not a lot of white.

nite1964

Reaction score
I moved from a Q to the Droid a week ago. takes a lil getting used to but I'm likin the slide out keyboard alot.

superglen99

Reaction score
I text a lot too roughly 2000 texts a month so I can attest this phone is great for texting. I mainly use the slide out keyboard and have come to like it and it works just fine but so do the virtual kayboards and handcent rocks. customize to the max. you could have white text on a white background....if you wanted lol

samredman

Reaction score
gdoane wrote:

No. It is a power user phone. Easy is down the street at Apple. Great is right here on Droid.

That is a brilliant statement. I will remember it and use it. I explain that concept to people everyday... especially to those people I recommend stick with their "Jitterbugs."

PhDCow

Reaction score
I switched from the EnV Touch to the Droid and, even though I liked the Touch's physical keyboard a little better, texting is very easy on the Droid.

This may sound strange, but slowing me down just a smidge makes my texts and e-mails more coherent. Especially useful when I'm writing an e-mail for work. :)

Monstrosity

Reaction score
I find it very easy to text on my Droid
I am sure there is a way to lock them. I don't know how as I have never tried but I bet there is.
Not sure what the heck AIM theme is so I'll leave that be
Probably can. Try different apps etc.
AIM theme = handcents iphone looking texting style

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I'm at over 5k a month in texts and the phone handles every bit of it.

OP
P8ntballer789

P8ntballer789

Reaction score
wow thanks everyone for all the replies! Im pretty much sold on the droid and will be using the handcent app.:) It should just come with the droid. When i said locking messages i forgot to mention it was txt messages, not email messages. Im glad the guys who mentioned they did 2k to 5k messages a month do great on it cause i do average of 4k a month and currently using and Env2.
Now for this google voice beta thing... What is it? Can you txt for free with it and does it count as a verizon txt to other phones?