FCC Complaint - Verizon's Slacker Radio Push

dale386

Reaction score
Is anyone else pissed that Verizon pushed this crap under the guise of an operating system update?

I've filed a complaint with the FCC, I'd encourage others to do the same.

FCC Consumer Complaints

Select Wireless Telephone > Deceptive or unlawful advertising or marketing by a communications company (does NOT include Telemarketing).

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Why would I? Slacker is much better than Pandora in my experience when it comes to musical picks. Not once have I heard opera on my Metallica station, or barbershop quartets on my Alice in Chains station since I stopped using Pandora.

I also didn't like how the Pandora app wanted to look at my contact list and send text messages.

robs a zombie

Reaction score
Slacker is way much better, almost commercial free. Taking it up to fcc, too much of hassle. When it can just be removed, with less work than complaining!

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums App

onsht1kll

Reaction score
What exactly is this thread for? Lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I'm confused, too.

Complaining to the FCC about Verizon disguising an uninstallable app promo as an operating system update.

Umm .. ok? So they put an icon u don't want on your phone? What about all the other ones? Amazon mp3. Youtube . Twitter. Facebook .. all those were put there the same way .. people might have complaned cuz slacker wasn't on there too to begin with .. do u just not like slacker?

OP
D

dale386

Reaction score
I'm confused, too.

Complaining to the FCC about Verizon disguising an uninstallable app promo as an operating system update.

Umm .. ok? So they put an icon u don't want on your phone? What about all the other ones? Amazon mp3. Youtube . Twitter. Facebook .. all those were put there the same way .. people might have complaned cuz slacker wasn't on there too to begin with .. do u just not like slacker?

Nothing against Slacker. And you're right about Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. You should be able to remove those, but I knew they were there when I purchased the phone. My issue is with receiving an Android message saying "We have an operating system update for you," presumably to fix some bugs, update core features, etc, only to find that it's basically just a way for them to add non-core features to the phone.

onsht1kll

Reaction score

Nothing against Slacker. And you're right about Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc. You should be able to remove those, but I knew they were there when I purchased the phone. My issue is with receiving an Android message saying "We have an operating system update for you," presumably to fix some bugs, update core features, etc, only to find that it's basically just a way for them to add non-core features to the phone.

I see what your trying to say but do u really think they Would make an update just so They can promote a free app? If they wanted to push an icon to your phone They Don't need an update to do that ( they do it all The time to blackberries) .. my guess Would be people were complaining slacker didn't come preinstalled on it so they just threw it in on the next update

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Improvements: (3.26.605.1/Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28)
+ Updated Flash® player includes security enhancements.
+ Visual Voice Mail Wi-Fi improvements include removal of incorrect service messages and post-call notifications.
+ Enhanced support for Yahoo!® IMAP email.
+ Updated Slacker application.
+ Attach files larger than 5 MB.
+ Updated COX POP3 email settings.
+ Play YouTube videos in YouTube application.
+ Seamlessly switch between portrait and landscape views in Google Maps.™
+ Updated Comcast POP3 email settings.
+ Search key and other buttons displayed in correct order.

Enhancements:
+ Preinstalled V CAST Apps lets users purchase applications directly from their devices and bill them to a Verizon Wireless account.

Nothing groundbreaking, but any update is a welcome one.
[Via DroidLife]

Good luck trying to convince them the update was only for slacker radio.