FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler Hints That Title II for the Internet is Likely Coming Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tom-wheeler-hed-2013.jpg

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler was recently speaking at a Q&A with Consumer Electronics Association president and CEO Gary Shapiro during the 2015 CES convention on Jan. 7. He made some surprising comments regarding the future of the "Open Internet," hinting that a limited use of Title II is very likely coming soon.

Here's a quote with more of the details,

FCC chairman Tom Wheeler outlined his approach for establishing new rules for the “Open Internet” by suggesting he would use Title II, but in a relatively limited way, to ensure there would be “no blocking, no throttling and no paid prioritization.”

Wheeler made the comments at an annual Q&A with Consumer Electronics Association president and CEO Gary Shapiro during the 2015 CES convention on Jan. 7.

Wheeler also said that the FCC expects to send the proposed rules to FCC commissioners Feb. 5 and that the Commission will vote on them on Feb. 12. Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said Wednesday she was looking forward to seeing the chairman's proposal.

Shapiro pressed Wheeler in a congenial, often humorous fashion during the 50-minute Q&A for details on the plan, but the FCC chairman stuck to broader policy issues and the philosophy behind his approach saying, “You’ll have to wait until February for the details.”

On top of this, Wheeler shared that he was actually working on Title II classification of the Internet before the President publicly pushed in that direction. He clarified that the primary purpose of this initiative was “was to ensure that innovators and consumers have open access to networks" so that there is “sufficient incentive for ISPs to build better networks.”

Wheeler further added, “this is why the whole open internet is so damn important because you have to have access to pathways.”

[Editorial comment: Finally, someone in a position of authority is thinking with a level head and logical reasoning while looking at the big picture.]

Source: CES Wheeler Signals Title II Is Likely Broadcasting Cable

swc2001

Reaction score
This.... is a good thing Right?
I mean it sounds good to me.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It's nice to see someone with power looking at it from a practical standpoint as our use of the Internet and the technologies that run it, become a more integral part of our lives. We've had way too many hands in the cookie jar which were connected to eyes with dollar signs in them.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I will believe it when I see it. This guy is an industry insider and has drug his feet consistently.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
This.... is a good thing Right?
I mean it sounds good to me.

I've had this thought since I first heard about it. On one hand, this all sounds like a good thing on paper that the government is backing the people instead of the businesses. On the other hand, the government is getting involved, and I have a hard time recollecting when that's been a good thing.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually... it's not that the government is getting involved directly. It's actually that they are simply putting regulations in place to insure that no one, including the government, can impede the "open internet." It's really the government forcing the ISPs and themselves to get out of the way. They should have done it years ago when the Internet first began.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Actually... it's not that the government is getting involved directly. It's actually that they are simply putting regulations in place to insure that no one, including the government, can impede the "open internet." It's really the government forcing the ISPs and themselves to get out of the way. They should have done it years ago when the Internet first began.
To be real though, even though we've achieved some things that only existed in sci-fi movies during the internet's infancy, I don't really think they could've foreseen just exactly what the beast would become when it transitioned from a military tool to a connection in every home, or even before it got THAT big.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Who knew it would become the Internet of THINGS back then.

If it comes to pass it will be some of the best news of the year.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
To be real though, even though we've achieved some things that only existed in sci-fi movies during the internet's infancy, I don't really think they could've foreseen just exactly what the beast would become when it transitioned from a military tool to a connection in every home, or even before it got THAT big.
The beast is yet to be seen... Watch out for Skylab's lol.. ;)