Fairly New to OG Droid.. Looking For Help!!

tmoney21

Reaction score
I have had my Motorola Droid for over a year now and have found my favorite apps that i use daily but i have just discovered widgets after purchasing *Beautiful Widgets* which was my first purchase in the droid app store. I am now looking for help with a few things. One is i was wondering if there was a way to customize the unlock screen, maybe put a beautiful widget on the screen instead of the clock and date that is there already, also change the unlock/silent bar??

I would also like to see what other widgets there is out that are worth getting.

And last id like to know about rooting the Droid, pros/cons to doing so.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for unlock screen: try WidgetLocker, it works great and you can get different themes.

I've recently done this with my Incredible as I was getting a bit bored, now it looks very nice.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Also there are virtually no cons to rooting your Droid. You're out of warranty already and rooting doesn't have you lose any information or anything. Read up a bit more on it and see what you might want to do once rooted.

I personally rooted for wireless tether and get rid of what I call "bloatware".

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
The only con to rooting and romming is voiding your,warranty.

Also your phone will be faster making you wish youd done it sooner.

Beautiful widgets on lockscren....sounds like you want htc sense 3.0, sadly I dont know if that's possible, maybe with widget unlocker .

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Been using a D1 for over 20 months now. It has been rooted far more than it has been running stock. I've lost track how many different versions of roms I've had on it due to the roms being so well supported and coming out with multiple versions for each rom. I've had the 550mhz CPU running at 1100mhz for over 6 months with no issues. Currently I'm running at 800mhz with no issue. The tethering is a plus, its come in handy a couple of times but I really haven't used it much. The joy was in customizing and playing with it, helping others to do the same. The overclocking was definitely worth more than wifi tether access and that alone is one good reason to root. As mentioned above, losing the apps (bloatware) you don't want, being in control of your device...all good reasons too.

OP
T

tmoney21

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, *WidgetLocker* works perfect to change up the unlock screen and *BeautifulWidgets* works the same on the unlock screen, Just what i needed!

My warranty has ended with my Droid so im looking to have it rooted. Best way to do it myself? Or should someone do it for me?