Factory Reset or SBF?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am upgrading from my Droid 2 to a Razr Maxx. My D2 is rooted, and it's locked on 2.3.20 since I have the Updater frozen with Titanium Backup so it won't take an OTA update and lose root.

After I get my new Maxx, I am selling the D2. Should I SBF it back to stock, or will a simple factory reset do the trick? Seems to me like a simple factory reset will still remove root, then format the SD card and it's a new/used phone for somebody else.

Thoughts? :)

Jeffyo

Reaction score
MattyP said:
I am upgrading from my Droid 2 to a Razr Maxx. My D2 is rooted, and it's locked on 2.3.20 since I have the Updater frozen with Titanium Backup so it won't take an OTA update and lose root.

After I get my new Maxx, I am selling the D2. Should I SBF it back to stock, or will a simple factory reset do the trick? Seems to me like a simple factory reset will still remove root, then format the SD card and it's a new/used phone for somebody else.

Thoughts? :)

SBF it will look nice to the person buying it and will allow them to choose to root or take the ota.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SBF it will look nice to the person buying it and will allow them to choose to root or take the ota.

I'm not selling it to a person ... there's a store down the road from me that buys used phones, said they would give me 50 bucks cash for the D2, which means I will end up getting the razr Maxx for 20 bucks when it's all said and done. Won't a factory reset take root off?

Jeffyo

Reaction score
MattyP said:
I'm not selling it to a person ... there's a store down the road from me that buys used phones, said they would give me 50 bucks cash for the D2, which means I will end up getting the razr Maxx for 20 bucks when it's all said and done. Won't a factory reset take root off?

Unsure. Unrooting was always via ota or sbf in my experience. Give it a try.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks gang, I SBF'd it before, so that's not a problem. I was looking for easy LOL :biggrin: