Factory reset on Droid 4

NYCMOM

Reaction score
Hello Community. I am new here and as in with most newbies, I come with questions or solutions. So here goes:

Since the Droid 4 is so new, it's hard pressed to find answers. So here is my situation and question in plain english:

New droid 4..I rooted it with Motofail (one click).. In getting rid of bloatware, I uninstalled something I shouldn't have (using Root Uninstaller)...

If I restore to factory, 1) will it restore all the bloatware as well (I did no backup) and 2) will it become unrooted or stay rooted? 3)assuming it stays rooted after factory reset, can I install the DROID 4 Utility (Pre-Release [WINDOWS] - xda-developers) over the already rooted phone?

My expected end result?: To be able to restore a couple of stock apps, to do a total backup of phone (using Titanium)
to have installed the droid utility and to have a rooted phone. All help and advice totally appreciated. Thank you.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I am not positive if a data reset will put back your missing apps but i know for sure that it will not remove root. If you want to be on the save side you can download voodoo ota root keeper from the market and run it to save root. Just be sure when you do the reset not to erase your internal memory and you should be good as far as that goes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Factory reset does not restore uninstalled apps. I believe all it does is erase user data and returns all settings back to stock. There are no fastboot files so I'm not sure you can get that missing app back.

Maybe if you tell us what you uninstalled someone may have a backup and you can try install it but i remember some people had problems doing this too.

OP
N

NYCMOM

Reaction score
The My Verizon App... When I realized it was gone, I reinstalled it from the market, but upon loading it says, this application requires the Verizon Login Client. Please download the client and start the application again (error code 305)"... I have no idea how to download the client login or what it is. So I uninstalled it and tried to download it again... Same problem

There's a close button and **poof** bye bye it goes again..

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Look in your system apps via titainium bachup and see if you have the "verizon single sign on engine" or it may be called "SSO".

OP
N

NYCMOM

Reaction score
Yes, I found the sso 1.0 and sso permissions 1.0

but I only installed the titanium I haven't backed up yet. What do I do with it now?

I think if I uninstall those two files...then reinstall the My Verizon app, it will allow me to login..that's my newbie thinking cap talking... What do you think??

Last edited:

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Do not uninstal them. Those are requrired for the my verizon app to work. Let.me see if i can make a copy of mine and send it to you.

r314bd

Reaction score
I don't know a solution for you OP but for everyone else reading this thread, I can't stress this enough: DO NOT UNINSTALL SYSTEM APPS. EVER.

Here is a thread with a list of apps that are safe to FREEZE on the Droid 4.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I don't know a solution for you OP but for everyone else reading this thread, I can't stress this enough: DO NOT UNINSTALL SYSTEM APPS. EVER.

Truer words could not have been spoken. Especially since we have no means of recovery yet.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score

This bears being repeated again.

Until fastboot is released dont ever uninstall ANYTHING and freezing the wrong apps can cause serious problems too so pay attention before you mess with your phone.

I hope the OP gets this resolved.

OP
N

NYCMOM

Reaction score
Try this one. It is the original my verizon app pulled from system apps.

http://db.tt/tYo9vVVv

Just click the link.

Thank you all for your help... It did not work... When I tried to install the package, it brought up my tethering app.. It's ok guys, my son is taking this phone and im going for the droid razr maxx... But I did learn a big lesson....

Last question on this thread, I hope: it is rooted with motofail...I have the patch to unroot it on my computer.... Can my son just run a factory reset to rid the phone of all my stuff, or do we have to unroot it first. o_O and can the droid utility that is out, can that be installed over the rooted phone?

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
You do not have to unroot to do a factory data reset. If you want root to remain then leave it as is, if you dont want your son to have access to system files use the droid 4 utility to unroot it and then do the reset and you should be good. That will remove all your info from the phone. You will need a new micro sim card if you sons phone doesnt have one. You can just move yours to the maxx when you get it and you will be good to go.

OP
N

NYCMOM

Reaction score
Thanks again...I ran the utility and unrooted then the phone...it ran flawlessly... then I reset to factory... I don't know how, but most of the apps that I deleted came back except for the "MY VERIZON" .. My son is taking it in today to verizon and transfer the phone to his name... I am going to keep my droid incredible and hopefully a one click root will come out for it... So thank you all so much for your help, input and suggestions...