Facial recognition

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
Decided to test out the facial recognition and found it's not 'secure' as one would like. Now I realize if someone steals your phone it's not likely they have a picture of you but if they do you're in trouble. I setup the facial recognition and then snapped a picture of myself using my tbolt. Although it took a little work, the facial recognition would recognize my face via the picture and unlock the phone. Just thought I'd share...

OP
BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
So why list it under the 'security' features. I don't buy it, they intended on it being a security feature, it's just not that good.

jcardona1

Reaction score
It's not that good. We're not talking about government security clearance. Its' a cell phone. If you don't feel secure using it, don't use it. I think it's more of a gimmick, so I don't use it. Besides, I don't like having to stare at my phone to unlock each time. It's a pain to use.

prowler85

Reaction score
They've even stated that it's not as secure as other methods, and that yes, it will unlock with a picture. That being said, I'm using it because it's way faster than putting in a pin or swiping a pattern, and I haven't locked my phone for a while anyway as I'm very careful and doubt I'd ever lose it. And I have androidlost installed so I can remote pin lock or wipe it if I need to.

And honestly, I'm not concerned about someone stealing it that has a picture of me. Geez. I haven't tried it out on other faces yet, but will this weekend - my son in particular, who looks a tad like me. So I'll let you know.

My gut reaction is it would slow down someone just long enough to let me lock my phone and use the remote GPS locator to find it. So it's good enough for me, and better than nothing.

But I do assume that the technology will improve and eventually become a solid safety feature. As far as putting under safety features, where else would you put it?

And there's even a disclaimer when you set it up that it's not the most solid safety feature. What the hell else do you want???? :angry:

:biggrin:

OP
BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle

Reaction score
Wow folks, don't get your knickers in a twist. I was simply pointing out how easy it was to get around, nothing more. And I thought it was worth noting as some may not realize this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It never was meant to be a security feature, even Google said that.

It's more of a convenience feature. However, if you lose it on the subway or something it could be helpful as a complete stranger shouldn't have a pic of you. Safest way is PIN code imo

prowler85

Reaction score
Wow folks, don't get your knickers in a twist. I was simply pointing out how easy it was to get around, nothing more. And I thought it was worth noting as some may not realize this.

My knickers weren't twisted - thus the smiley face at the end.

Just pointing out that this has been known for about a month and shouldn't be a problem as there's a disclaimer before using. And it does have its uses for some people. That's all I was trying to say. :biggrin:

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
I was just showing off face unlock and my co-worker can unlock it with his face on-demand. We look nothing alike, other than the fact that we're both male. Fun toy, not a security method. No biggie, as long as people understand that.

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
It seems secure enough that if you lost it, and a strnager got their hands on it, they wouldnt be able to get in.
Clearly you missed my post right above yours. If my co-worker found my phone and was malicious, he could get in.