Facebook PMs don't load from notification bar

tempo

Reaction score
Anyone else see this behavior?

When I receive a new private message on Facebook, the "new message" icon/notification appears in the notification bar of my Incredible.

However, when I follow the link to open/read the message, my default browser opens and it begins to load m.facebook.com/inbox.php?xxx -- but then it times out. This happens every time.

The same page loads perfectly fine if I go through the 'front door', i.e. if I exit the notification bar, go open a browser and manually navigate to m.facebook.com to access my Inbox.

Basically, the shortcut to your Facebook Inbox that appears in the Incredible's notifications section doesn't seem to work.

stanwelks

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem when I was using my Motorola Droid. It annoyed the heck out of me. I just received a PM on my Incredible and it went right to it. I also upgrade the FB app to the latest version, that may have been the problem.

OP
T

tempo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

It seems the Incredible uses FB for HTC Sense (which has no uninstall option?) and then I see Facebook in the Marketplace (which doesn't say it's installed, therefore I assume it's a different app entirely).

Wondering if they co-exist, of it if overwrites the HTC version (which I don't see in the Marketplace). Maybe I'll just install it and see what happens...

stanwelks

Reaction score
weird that it shows that FB is not installed, I thought it came preinstalled. I am not sure about the HTC version, not even sure what that is, maybe it is one of the widgets that it comes with, though I think upgrading to the newest version of FB in the market fixed the problem for me.

OP
T

tempo

Reaction score
Installed the FB client off the Marketplace (over the existing FB for HTC Sense, for which I did not see an uninstall option) and it seems to work OK now -- at least when I send myself a PM.

Curiously it's still listed as FB for HTC Sense under the apps. The version number is different although for all intents and purposes it seems to be the same as before.

Cheers.

RPA-DROID

Reaction score
I noticed the same issue with the "stock app that was on the phone. I couldn't get into some of the items in Facebook. Once I loaded the "other" app, I ws able to navigate to all the places I needed.